Re: [Public WebGL] Feature proposal for TypedArrays

On 11/05/2010 07:54, Kenneth Russell wrote:
>> On 5/10/2010 9:49 AM, Chris Marrin wrote:
>>
>>> But fp32 and fp64 are supported in compilers and hardware FPUs. I don't
>>> know of any CPU's that support fp16 natively. So full support would require
>>> conversion to and from a support FP format. I don't think it's worth doing
>>> that at this point.

> I think it would be a good idea to eventually support the "half" data
> type, but currently there are no planned WebGL extensions that would
> use it. The additional cost is significantly higher than for the other
> existing data types because most CPUs do not support this format
> natively.

Yeah, right. Our compiled .obj files i.e. complete with symbols, for
full fp16 support on an ARMv5 processor, total a whopping 7.6 kbytes, a
really significant cost when it takes 300Mbytes+ to simply log into
WindowsXP.

Seriously, lack of h/w support is not a reason to reject supporting
fp16. The code is small and performance on a 1GHz CPU is pretty good.

Regards

    -Mark

begin:vcard
fn:Mark Callow