Re: [Public WebGL] Feature proposal for TypedArrays

On 5/10/2010 9:49 AM, Chris Marrin wrote:
But fp32 and fp64 are supported in compilers and hardware FPUs. I don't know of any CPU's that support fp16 natively. So full support would require conversion to and from a support FP format. I don't think it's worth doing that at this point.

This is the part that worries me the most about the proposal, but even if we implemented fp16 support in software, the typical usage could be to do math as fp32 and then convert to fp16 before uploading to the video card for memory savings. That would argue for having a fp16 type, but cautioning developers to not actually do math with it, which is a little scary -- someone invariably will. However, if the use case is mainly for pre-computed data, it can already be stored and transmitted as a raw buffer (and if light manipulation is needed, an unsigned short array would provide access to the individual fp16 elements).

    - Vlad