Re: [Public WebGL] Initial tests available

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@mozilla.com> wrote:
On 1/7/2010 5:03 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Gregg Tavares<gman@google.com>  wrote:

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Kenneth Russell<kbr@google.com>  wrote:

Some initial tests have been checked in to the WebGL repository. These
are basically copies of tests from the WebKit repository used with
permission from Apple Computer and the Chromium team where
appropriate.

You can run them interactively in a WebGL enabled browser from

 https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl/sdk/tests/fast/

and check out their source code with

   svn checkout
https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl

These aren't quite unit tests and aren't quite conformance tests which
is why they've been put in a directory called "fast".

The -expected.txt files are currently only used by WebKit's
run-webkit-tests script, but can be used to check for regressions.

More work is needed, for example to write a harness in _javascript_
which automatically runs each one and verifies against expected
results. Contributions are very welcome.

How about using selenium?  It's open source and it runs all the browser
AFAIK. We have some existing code to do this from another project. That
could would basically take a list of tests, tell the browser to run each one
then wait for window.g_testResult to become defined true or false where true
= that test passed.

Is that an okay direction?

If it is possible to use selenium to construct a test harness that you
can just point to with a web browser, that sounds fine to me. If it
requires command-line invocation or downloading and installation of
packages, then I would like to avoid it. My experience with selenium
on O3D, in particular debugging why O3D wouldn't load from within
Selenium in IE, was not good. We don't need its complexity, at least
not for our current tests.

Philip Taylor's Canvas tests at
http://philip.html5.org/tests/canvas/suite/tests/ look nice.

Yep, I like Philip's tests as well, but the input format and the framework to generate them is.. rather ugly :-)

Shouldn't be too hard to come up with something similar, though.  Perhaps a standardized test template, and then a driver that loads each test in a new iframe, one after the other?

Yes, that sounds good to me.

   - Vlad