Re: [Public WebGL] Initial tests available

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Gregg Tavares <gman@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> Some initial tests have been checked in to the WebGL repository. These
>> are basically copies of tests from the WebKit repository used with
>> permission from Apple Computer and the Chromium team where
>> appropriate.
>>
>> You can run them interactively in a WebGL enabled browser from
>>

>>  https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl/sdk/tests/fast/
>>
>> and check out their source code with
>>
>>    svn checkout
>> https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl
>>
>> These aren't quite unit tests and aren't quite conformance tests which
>> is why they've been put in a directory called "fast".
>>
>> The -expected.txt files are currently only used by WebKit's
>> run-webkit-tests script, but can be used to check for regressions.
>>
>> More work is needed, for example to write a harness in JavaScript
>> which automatically runs each one and verifies against expected
>> results. Contributions are very welcome.
>
> How about using selenium?  It's open source and it runs all the browser
> AFAIK. We have some existing code to do this from another project. That
> could would basically take a list of tests, tell the browser to run each one
> then wait for window.g_testResult to become defined true or false where true
> = that test passed.
>
> Is that an okay direction?

If it is possible to use selenium to construct a test harness that you
can just point to with a web browser, that sounds fine to me. If it
requires command-line invocation or downloading and installation of
packages, then I would like to avoid it. My experience with selenium
on O3D, in particular debugging why O3D wouldn't load from within
Selenium in IE, was not good. We don't need its complexity, at least
not for our current tests.

Philip Taylor's Canvas tests at
http://philip.html5.org/tests/canvas/suite/tests/ look nice.