Re: [Public WebGL] Typed WebGLArray sequence parameter types

I've uploaded a validated WebGL IDL file at,

 http://es-operating-system.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/esidl/dom/webgl.idl

This is written in the current Web IDL editor's draft [0] format with one extended keyword 'byte' for 8-bit integers.
Does this look reasonable? Maybe the getter and setter types should be changed as well?

[0] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/

Â- Shiki

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:28 AM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:35 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic
<vladimir@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 12/21/2009 8:38 PM, Shiki Okasaka wrote:
>>
>> Is this possible to modify typed WebGLArray sequence parameter types
>> in the IDL definitions as below?
>>
>> * WebGLByteArray:
>> Â Âsequence<long> Â-> Âsequence<octet>
>> * WebGLUnsignedByteArray:
>> Â Âsequence<unsigned long> Â-> Âsequence<octet>
>> * WebGLShortArray:
>> Â Âsequence<long> Â-> Âsequence<short>
>> * WebGLUnsignedShortArray:
>> Â Âsequence<unsigned long> Â-> Âsequence<unsigned short>
>>
>> This change would make the generated interfaces for statically typed
>> languages (e.g. Java) more useful.
>>
>> Note currently Web IDL does not have a primitive type for 8-bit signed
>> integer values. If it is useful for WebGL, maybe we can propose an
>> addition of it to Web IDL as Geolocation WG requested to add 'double'
>> in addition to 'float' [0].
>>

> Yep, that's the main reason why long/unsigned long are used instead of octet
> -- if octet was used, then it becomes impossible to actually specify signed
> 8-bit integers. ÂFor short, we decided to follow the same convention.
> ÂHowever, maybe a workaround would be to add a typedef somewhere for our own
> signed_octet type, by default typedef'd to unsigned long, but with a
> statement in the spec saying that this should be a signed 8 bit type if the
> language supports it?

Sounds like a good workaround.