Re: [Public WebGL] Some WebGL draft feedback

On 12/23/09 7:54 PM, Chris Marrin wrote:

On Dec 23, 2009, at 2:53 AM, Gregg Tavares wrote:

2) Don't support multiple contexts.

That seems like bad choice given that there is already precedent and it's extremely useful. If canvas is by design, a bucket of pixels then it certainly makes sense that it would be possible to effect those pixels in multiple ways and as more ways come up use them all together.

It would be quite useful to this discussion to understand that API better. Have you used it to understand how well it works and where its pitfalls are? Perhaps someone from Opera can enlighten us about the implementation.

That API is basically an extension to the 2d API. It adds a few extra functions, but adds them to a separate context instead of directly to the 2d context. All the functions manipulate the 2d context, so opera-2dgame makes little sense on it's own.

3) Switch to a <webgl> tag instead of canvas.

I suspect this suggestion will be unpopular but it seems to me that if canvas has a model and webgl is not willing to support that model than it doesn't belong in canvas.

Canvas DOESN'T have a model. In the 3 years since Opera created their proprietary API have they gone to the W3C to propose defining multiple contexts in the Canvas element? If so, then we have a basis for discussion. If not, we need to do that definition. My strong recommendation is to disallow multiple contexts.

We have not proposed multiple context. Instead we have proposed to add the functionality of opera-2dgame to the main 2d context, which most of it was several years ago.

//Tim