Re: [Public WebGL] Typed WebGLArray sequence parameter types

On 12/21/2009 8:38 PM, Shiki Okasaka wrote:
Is this possible to modify typed WebGLArray sequence parameter types
in the IDL definitions as below?

* WebGLByteArray:
    sequence<long>  ->  sequence<octet>
* WebGLUnsignedByteArray:
    sequence<unsigned long>  ->  sequence<octet>
* WebGLShortArray:
    sequence<long>  ->  sequence<short>
* WebGLUnsignedShortArray:
    sequence<unsigned long>  ->  sequence<unsigned short>

This change would make the generated interfaces for statically typed
languages (e.g. Java) more useful.

Note currently Web IDL does not have a primitive type for 8-bit signed
integer values. If it is useful for WebGL, maybe we can propose an
addition of it to Web IDL as Geolocation WG requested to add 'double'
in addition to 'float' [0].
Yep, that's the main reason why long/unsigned long are used instead of octet -- if octet was used, then it becomes impossible to actually specify signed 8-bit integers. For short, we decided to follow the same convention. However, maybe a workaround would be to add a typedef somewhere for our own signed_octet type, by default typedef'd to unsigned long, but with a statement in the spec saying that this should be a signed 8 bit type if the language supports it?

    - Vlad