ESRI’s ArcGIS Explorer (AGX) is a free downloadable GIS viewer which allows viewing of a wide variety of spatial data in either 2D or 3D (Globe) display modes. ArcGIS Explorer supports import of COLLADA objects and allows the objects to interact with data.
Bryce 7 can now import 3D models made in Google SketchUp or Electronic Arts' free Spore Creature Creator. This utilizes new import and export options for both the COLLADA and FBX file formats, according to this post.
Digital Media Professionals Inc. announced that it will start selling the English version of its Android 3D Graphics Learning Kit in August 2010. DMP will showcase the first public exhibition of its Android 3D Graphics Learning Kit (English Version) at SIGGRAPH 2010 at Khronos Booth #1201.
Digital Media professionals has announced that the DMP 3D Graphics IP "PICA200" has been adopted by Nintendo’s new portable game machine "Nintendo 3DS." The PICA200 chip is fully compliant with OpenGL ES 1.1.
The Khronos™ Group today announced the ratification and public release of the OpenCL™ 1.1 specification, the latest version of the open, royalty-free standard for cross-platform, parallel programming of modern processors. OpenCL 1.1 adds significant functionality for enhanced parallel programming flexibility, functionality and performance including:
- New data types including 3-component vectors and additional image formats;
- Handling commands from multiple hosts and processing buffers across multiple devices;
- Operations on regions of a buffer including read, write and copy of 1D, 2D or 3D rectangular regions;
- Enhanced use of events to drive and control command execution;
- Additional OpenCL C built-in functions such as integer clamp, shuffle and asynchronous strided copies;
- Improved OpenGL interoperability through efficient sharing of images and buffers by linking OpenCL and OpenGL events.
JogAmp will be at SIGGRAPH 2010 with their own BOF Session "3D & Multimedia Across Platforms and Devices Using JOGL." This BOF session, on Tuesday, 27 July from 4:00pm to 6:00pm, will discuss the features, contributions, and future of OpenGL, OpenCL, and OpenMax across devices and OS exposed on top of Java using the JogAmp open-source libraries.
NVIDIA is looking for submissions from industry and academia. The submission should be about your work using the GPU for computing or graphics, and can be completed or currently in progress. The deadline is June 1st 2010. Complete details can be found on the NVIDIA website.
NVIDIA is proud to announce the immediate availability of OpenGL 4 drivers for Linux as well as OpenGL 4 WHQL-certified drivers for Windows. Additionally, support for eight new extensions is provided:
- ARB_texture_compression_bptc – provides new texture compression formats for both fixed-point and high dynamic range floating-point texels.
- EXT_shader_image_load_store - allows GLSL- and assembly-based shaders to load from, store to, and perform atomic read-modify-write operations to texture images.
- EXT_vertex_attrib_64bit - provides OpenGL shading language support for vertex shader inputs with 64-bit floating-point components and OpenGL API support for specifying the value of those inputs.
- NV_vertex_attrib_integer_64bit - provides support for specifying vertex attributes with 64-bit integer components, analogous to the 64-bit floating point support added in EXT_vertex_attrib_64bit.
- NV_gpu_program5 - provides assembly programmability support for new hardware features provided by NVIDIA’s OpenGL 4.0-capable hardware in vertex, fragment, and geometry programs.
- NV_tesssellation_program5 - provides assembly programmability support for tessellation control and evaluation programs.
- NV_gpu_shader5 - provides a superset of the features provided in ARB_gpu_shader5 and GLSL 4.00. This includes support for a full set of 8-, 16-, 32-, and 64-bit scalar and vector integer data types, and more. Additionally, it allows patches (as used in tessellation) to be passed on to the geometry shader, used as input to transform feedback, and rasterized as a set of control points.
- NV_shader_buffer_store – extends the bindless graphics capabilities of the NV_shader_buffer_load extension. This extension provides the ability to store to buffer object memory, and to perform atomic read-modify-write operations, using either GLSL- or assembly-based shaders.
The official feedback thread is available in the OpenGL Discussion Forums. The drivers and extension documentation can be downloaded from http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_driver.html
Lab3D is a 3D Laboratory project that uses OpenCL and OpenGL to display and manipulate 3D models created from regular 3D files and mathematical equations. Some of Lab3D features are OBJ and DXF (AutoCAD) models loading, dynamic and static 3D models creation, stereoscopic visualization and WiiMote interaction. Buffer objects are used to accelerate animations in systems that support it.
IMS Design released TurboCAD Pro 17 offering improved speed. Significant improvements in interoperability with Google™ SketchUp™ workflow have been introduced via an improved COLLADA (.DAE) export feature which includes instances so that blocks and architectural objects will be read by SketchUp as components.