SIGGRAPH 2017: Two great sessions today covering OpenGL, Vulkan and WebGL. Be sure not to miss "Cesium: 3D Globes on the Web" at 10:30AM and in the afternoon "NVIDIA: OpenGL and Vulkan Support for 2017". Get details on these sessions and other Khronos standards related sessions on the new Khronos website.
The entire WebGL Insights book is now available for free in PDF format with permission from CRC Press. The 23 chapters on advanced WebGL topics from 42 authors and 25 reviewers is basically still the only book on _advanced_ WebGL. Get your copy today, and start making awesome WebGL content.
Starting with v3.0, Babylon.js supports rendering using WebGL1 and WebGL2 contexts. The support is transparent for developers. By default the engine tries to get a WebGL2 context. If none is available then a WebGL1 one is retrieved. Learn more about Babylon.js v3.0 or get started on Github.
The Khronos Group would like to introduce the latest Khronos Portland Chapter to the family. Joshua Young has been running the Portland meet up group for quite awhile now and currently has over 1600 members! If you are in the Portland area and have an interest in OpenXR and Virtual Reality, please take a moment to join the group. Learn more about starting your own Chapter.
The Khronos Milano Chapter is excited to collaborate with Microsoft Italia inaugurating the first event in Milan, Italy on June 6, showing the new 3D frontiers for Virtual Reality enthusiasts, advocates, creators, users and consumers. Bringing together a fantastic lineup of speakers coming from all over Europe, at the 3D & Mixed Reality Day attendees will have a unique insight into new technology advancements and business possibilities opening up in the Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality industries.
As mentioned on Phoronix, Google just announced GSoC 2017 Projects. Included in the list are several Khronos related projects:
• Software Renderer for Vulkan (Vulkan, SPIR-V)
• 3D Hardware Acceleration in Haiku (OpenGL)
• Cross Platform GUI for CCExtractor (OpenGL
• libosmscout: Implementation of an opengl renderer (OpenGL)
• OpenGL-accelerated Renderer for Cytoscape 3 (OpenGL)
• Improvement to WebGL core for p5.js (WebGL)
• WebGL improvements for p5.js (WebGL)
• Creating the fastest math libraries for Ruby by using the GPU through OpenCL and ArrayFire. (OpenCL)
• GPU Boolean Evaluation for CSG Ray-Tracing (OpenCL)
• HPXCL – Asynchronous Integration of CUDA and OpenCL to HPX (OpenCL)
• libxcam Enable a debluring feature with OpenCL Design (OpenCL)
• Speeding up functional network analysis on fMRI data with distributed, in-memory computation using Apache Spark (OpenCL)