Thread: Max exporter: materials and "amount" of map

Max exporter: materials and "amount" of map

Another missing feature in Collada (v1.3 & 1.4) exported materials:
    the amount of map applied to the material is not exported [in 3dsMax you find it in the MaterialEditor under MapTab].

It is required especially for Reflection-Maps; we need to specify at which percentage the reflection map is applied, otherwise objects are reflecting too much (mirror-like). And it can be usefull for other maps as well.

hopefully this parameter will be included in next version?
    thanx.
    'mirouille) - VRlab

Hello Mirouille,

I'll take the time, this week, to investigate the possibility of exporting/importing both the texture map's amount parameter value and the "BackfaceCull" property for geometric objects. These would be added as extra, non-standard parameters, but they would be present and imported/exported.

I'm not too sure about animations on the texture map amount parameter: is that something that you are interested in?

Sincerely,
    Guillaume Laforte
    Feeling Software Inc
    http://www.feelingsoftware.com

animations on the texture map amount parameter

Thanks for your quick and positive reply.

Concerning animations on the texture map amount parameter:
    yes, it's interesting to have it (though not essential).

regards.
    'mirouille) - VRlab

Quote Originally Posted by glaforte
    I'll take the time, this week, to investigate the possibility of exporting/importing both the texture map's amount parameter value and the "BackfaceCull" property for geometric objects.
    Sincerely,
    Guillaume,

I think, correct me if I am wrong, that by default everything is considered single sided (BackFaceCull is ON). There is no 'double sided' attribute on the geometry. In 1.4, it was decided that this attribute was a material attribute, not a geometry attribute.

That's right. you can specify single/double-sided for each material, and it's a good way to deal with it too. But current version of colladaExporter for 3DSMax doesn't export it neither.
    We only need one way to specifiy single/double-side: either through backfaceCull or through material option, both are equivalent for me. You can choose whichever you prefer.

thanks a lot.
    'mirouille) - VRlab

Hi Remi: that's correct, double-sidedness is considered a material attribute in COLLADA 1.4. Although I haven't checked the most recent specs, there was still no "standard" way to express this information, in the most recent schema that I have.

Mirouille: in 3dsMax, we already export the material flag: "Faceted". Adding the "2-sided" flag shouldn't be a big deal. The fact that the "BackfaceCull" flag is in the "Display" panel tells me that this is a node property and not a geometry property. I have no problem with exporting it as a extra element in the scene graph, but I doubt it's usefulness.

So, I'll only add the export/import of the 2-sided flag for now. Is this good enough for your application?

About the texture map amount, the value is readily available for import/export, so I'll implement that. The animation of this value, though, is not available through the IGame export, so it will have to wait until more under-lying work is done.

Regards,
    Guillaume Laforte
    Feeling Software Inc
    http://www.feelingsoftware.com

>
    >So, I'll only add the export/import of the 2-sided flag for now.
    >Is this good enough for your application?

yes it is enough.
    thanks a lot.
    'mirouille) - VRlab

In COLLADA 1.4 all the materials are defined in terms of effects. There are effects for different profiles: GLSL, Cg, and GLES. Each of these represents the rendering pipeline state for those implementations. The GLSL profile, as an example, includes the OpenGL pipeline state and this includes CULL_FACE.

The COLLADA 1.4 common profile for FX includes the material definitions from COLLADA 1.3 and that is a very simple definition compared to actual commercial rendering software like DirectX or OpenGL. The common profile includes the <newparam> element so it can be extended, but I think the better approach is to export to the GLSL profile (for example).