I have tried the new release of the Max COLLADA plug-in and it is *still* broken!
Are you guys at Discreet taking Collada seriously?
You ask for feedback and yet you seem to ignore it. I fixed some bugs and submitted the changes to the board and direct via a message to one of the moderators of the max collada plugin and heard nothing back. I don't mind if you don't use my code as-is, please re-write it as you need, but please take notice as the code would help many more people.
I wish I could supply you with the files I am exporting, but I'm not allowed to. I may be able to make some test files however.
Problems (some of which I provided fixes for):
1. File contains duplicate ids. The same <image>s , texcood arrays, materials are being output multiple times.
2. Animation <arrays> are claiming counts of 201, but there is only 1 item of data.
3. Doesn't export specular maps and bump maps for materials. It ignores the maps assigned to those channels in the materials. I understand this feature is not implemented.
4. The name attributes of the <texture>and <material> nodes in the collada file have 'crazy' names with hex values in them. Please make them nicer names which are closer to the original names in Max. They don't need to use crazy names, because they don't need to be unique.
1. In the test results it claims that 'export with baked matrices' passes. I understand that to mean that <transform> elements will be output for nodes and for <animation>; as that is what is done in the Maya exporter. But how is this activated for the Max plugin? (I can't even see anything in the code that would write it out or activate it).
2. Can we submit code patches to you?
3. Where and how should we provide feedback?