Thread: clCreateSubBuffer and clreleaseMemObject

clCreateSubBuffer and clreleaseMemObject

Hi, I think my following question is obvious but I can't find the answer explicity in the OpenCL specification.

Imagine I create a subbuffer:
    Code :
    cl_buffer_region posRegion;
    posRegion.origin = 0;
    posRegion.size = numGridCells*sizeof(cl_int);
    cl_mem testDevice = clCreateSubBuffer(positioningDevice, CL_MEM_READ_WRITE, CL_BUFFER_CREATE_TYPE_REGION, &posRegion, &errcode_ret);
    Then, testDevice contains from 0 to numGridCells ints of positioningDevice.

Now:
    Code :
    cl_int ret = clReleaseMemObject(positioningDevice);
    Does testDevice still contains 0 to numGridCells ints of positioningDevice? I think the obvious answer is no, cause otherwise will mean that clCreateSubBuffer is making a copy of positioningDevice which makes no sense for a method call clCreateSubBuffer.

Anyway, I just want to be sure that I'm right.

Another, I think, obvious question is, is clCreateSubBuffer faster than create a new buffer and then clEnqueueCopyBuffer?

Thanks

Re: clCreateSubBuffer and clreleaseMemObject

Does testDevice still contains 0 to numGridCells ints of positioningDevice?
    According to the spec, the memory associated with the parent buffer object (e.g. positioningDevice) is not deleted until all of its sub-buffers are also released.

So answering your question, the sub-buffers (e.g. testDevice) will continue to work normally even if the parent object (i.e. positioningDevice in this case) is released.

I think the obvious answer is no, cause otherwise will mean that clCreateSubBuffer is making a copy of positioningDevice which makes no sense for a method call clCreateSubBuffer.
    Parent buffers and their sub-buffers share memory with each other. Just because the sub-buffers are valid after the parent buffer was released it doesn't mean that there is a copy. It's simply that deleting the memory associated with the parent object is deferred until all the sub-buffers are released.

Does it make sense now?
    Disclaimer: Employee of Qualcomm Canada. Any opinions expressed here are personal and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer. LinkedIn profile.

Is clCreateSubBuffer faster than create a new buffer and then clEnqueueCopyBuffer?
    clCreateSubBuffer() doesn't copy or allocate any new memory, so yes, it is faster than allocating new memory and doing a copy.
    Disclaimer: Employee of Qualcomm Canada. Any opinions expressed here are personal and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer. LinkedIn profile.

Quote Originally Posted by david.garcia
    Does it make sense now?
    A lot of sense

So if I understand correctly:

Code :
    cl_buffer_region posRegion;
    posRegion.origin = 0;
    posRegion.size = numGridCells*sizeof(cl_int);
    cl_mem testDevice1 = clCreateSubBuffer(positioningDevice, CL_MEM_READ_WRITE, CL_BUFFER_CREATE_TYPE_REGION, &posRegion, &errcode_ret);
    posRegion.origin = numGridCells*sizeof(cl_int);
    cl_mem testDevice2 = clCreateSubBuffer(positioningDevice, CL_MEM_READ_WRITE, CL_BUFFER_CREATE_TYPE_REGION, &posRegion, &errcode_ret);

clReleaseMemObject(positioningDevice);

//testDevice1 and testDevice2 are still 'working' and positioningDevice is not deleted yet
    clReleaseMemObject(testDevice1);
    //testDevice2 are still 'working', positioningDevice is not deleted yet and testDevice1 has been released and deleted
    clReleaseMemObject(testDevice2);
    //testDevice1, testDevice2 and positioningDevice are released and deleted

Thank you for your help.

Yes, that's how understand the spec as well.