Thread: kernel invocation

kernel invocation

Im going to write a kernel which will be quite complex, can I separate it to several kernels that can invoke each other?

when I compile the following sample code, there is an error which i dont understand
    error: illegal implicit cast between two pointers with different address spaces
    Code :

kernel void B(float *b) {
       //do something
    }
    kernel void A () {
       float b;
       B(&b);
    }

Re: kernel invocation

Yes, you can have a kernel function call another kernel function. You can also call non-kernel functions.

The error code you see is because in OpenCL each variable stays in one of the four possible memory address spaces: global, local, private and constant. They are explained in section 6.5 of the OpenCL 1.1. spec.

You can try something like this:

Code :
    void B(__private float *b) {
       //do something
    }
    kernel void A () {
       float b; // "b" by default is in private memory
       B(&b);
    }

Also notice that recursive function calls are not allowed. I say this because it looks like you are trying to implement a ray-tracing engine on OpenCL and simple ray-tracing engines are recursive.
    Disclaimer: Employee of Qualcomm Canada. Any opinions expressed here are personal and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer. LinkedIn profile.

Quote Originally Posted by david.garcia
    Yes, you can have a kernel function call another kernel function. You can also call non-kernel functions.

The error code you see is because in OpenCL each variable stays in one of the four possible memory address spaces: global, local, private and constant. They are explained in section 6.5 of the OpenCL 1.1. spec.

You can try something like this:

Code :
       //do something
    }
    kernel void A () {
       B(&b);
    }

Also notice that recursive function calls are not allowed. I say this because it looks like you are trying to implement a ray-tracing engine on OpenCL and simple ray-tracing engines are recursive.
    Thank you david, yes I am writing the ray tracing engine, I have written a non-recursive C implementation and now need to implement with OpenCL, one kernel function is too complicated and lots of duplicated code.

Regarding to the previous post, when I assign a value in the device function B, the value does not update in the kernel A, which i dont know why:

Code :
       //do something
       // if say b = 1, when I find b in kernel A, the value is still 0
       *b = 1;
    }
    kernel void A () {
       B(&b);
    }

Regarding to the previous post, when I assign a value in the device function B, the value does not update in the kernel A, which i dont know why:
    Did you get any error codes from any of the OpenCL calls? That code should work.
    Disclaimer: Employee of Qualcomm Canada. Any opinions expressed here are personal and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer. LinkedIn profile.