Thread: Examples of <morph>

Examples of <morph>

Where can I find examples of <morph> using more than just POSITIONS? Every single example I find and every single exporter I try does not take normals or binormals/tangents into consideration.

Collada spec says that only whathever is inside <vertices> can be morphed, but no exporter or example has more fields than the POSITIONS input source. So is everything pretty much broken? should I generate normals/binormals/tangets myself on the morph targets?

Re: Examples of <morph>

Sounds like tools you're looking at are limiting themselves to morphing positions in their import/export cababilities, even if they can support it better internally. I encourage you to report these bugs to the respective vendors.

In developing your own tool, yes you should support as many inputs in the <vertex> element as you plan to morph in your content. You will need other tools to support this as well to be part of your content toolchain.

Re: Examples of <morph>

Most software only stores position deltas, I think that's the reason why most exporters work the same. It's common practice to re-compute normals on import or file load, during animation, etc. So there isn't much value in storing them from my point of view. I can see how it is helpful to have that data in the file, but most people probably wouldn't consider it essential.

Edit: That said, per http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/xsi ... ubar20.htm XSI might export them (but I don't think that applies to morph targets per se).