Thread: Animation and scene in distinct files?

Animation and scene in distinct files?

Hello,

I'm wondering if it is possible to have a dae file describing a scene and
    another file animating this scene.

My few tests show that it is not possible because the ``target`` attribute
    of the ``channel`` element cannot containt an URI (to the scene file).

However this limitation seems odd.

Am I right? Is there a workaround?

Thanks.

Re: Animation and scene in distinct files?

The animation targets are constrained to the same document because the consensus design decided that animation should be co-located with their targets for packaging reasons.

A workaround might be to target some extension you define inside of an <extra> element that provides a URL to the external target.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    The animation targets are constrained to the same document because the consensus design decided that animation should be co-located with their targets for packaging reasons.
    ok. Too bad, it would have allowed me to keep one animation per file (and thus to circumvent the related unique-id problems) without duplicating the scene.

A workaround might be to target some extension you define inside of an <extra> element that provides a URL to the external target.
    Thanks. But I think I will stay away from extra.

Maybe a more standard workaround would be to keep the scene in a single file, and instance its node tree in each animation file. That would force me to use sid in the node tree though.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by sbarthelemy
    ok. Too bad, it would have allowed me to keep one animation per file (and thus to circumvent the related unique-id problems) without duplicating the scene.
    Yeah, the implication of this design point is that the library_animation and the library_node containing the targeted elements are in the same document.

The library_visual_scene is a separate thing that can still be in a separate document from the other two libraries and instance the animated nodes. That's much of the way towards what you want.

Yeah, the implication of this design point is that the library_animation and the library_node containing the targeted elements are in the same document.

The library_visual_scene is a separate thing that can still be in a separate document from the other two libraries and instance the animated nodes. That's much of the way towards what you want.
    Ok. Thank you a lot for making it clear.