Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Advice needed to implement XRef capability in Max Exporter

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2

    Advice needed to implement XRef capability in Max Exporter

    Hi Collada Experts,

    I'm currently working on enhancing the ColladaMax Exporter, which is based on the last available piece of codes built on FCollada.

    One of the tasks is to modify the XRef export. The current version of exporter will write something like this:
    Code :
    <instance_geometry url="file:///building.max#building">
    followed by the material binding info.

    I am thinking, will it be more manageable if we try to reference a <instance_node> instead of the geometry information only? In such case, we will just need to reference a single <node> and all the geometry and material informaiton will be available. Or does <node> is meant for other usage?

    And has anyone tried integrating both visual and physics exporters into a single exporter? So far most of the discussions I found are discussing these two topics seperately.

    Any tips are much appreciated.

    Thanks in advanced.

  2. #2

    Re: Advice needed to implement XRef capability in Max Exporter

    Why don't you put your efforts in the actively maintained project at http://www.opencollada.org?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    771

    Re: Advice needed to implement XRef capability in Max Exporter

    Quote Originally Posted by bulkhead
    One of the tasks is to modify the XRef export. The current version of exporter will write something like this:
    Code :
    <instance_geometry url="file:///building.max#building">
    That url looks invalid to me. I doubt that file exists at the root of the local file system.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulkhead
    I am thinking, will it be more manageable if we try to reference a <instance_node> instead of the geometry information only? In such case, we will just need to reference a single <node> and all the geometry and material informaiton will be available. Or does <node> is meant for other usage?
    COLLADA can reference elements at many levels of the schema so I don't see that this distinction is meaningful wrt your subject line.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2

    Re: Advice needed to implement XRef capability in Max Exporter

    Hi guys,

    Thanks for the reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian
    Why don't you put your efforts in the actively maintained project at http://www.opencollada.org?
    Yup, I did try something on OpenCollada. I started with modifying the dae2ogre to load the scene into Ogre, but stuck somewhere when implementing the animation, due to the SAX nature of loading the file. As I have a tight schedule, so I just fallback to FCollada, which has a more complete importer for Ogre at the moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    That url looks invalid to me. I doubt that file exists at the root of the local file system.
    The original url is an absolute path. I have removed the directories portion to shorten the line. I might have made a mistake there :P

    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    COLLADA can reference elements at many levels of the schema so I don't see that this distinction is meaningful wrt your subject line.
    Got it. I roughly get what you mean. Let me try to digest the Collada specs one more time

    Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •