Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Displaying dae files in openGL

Re: Displaying dae files in openGL

I believe that from these two sites: http://www.gamedev.net/community/for...opic_id=367866 and viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1286

Collada dom and 1.4 support animations.

Ok, good..seems there is support. If not, I expect someone on the forum to let us know here.

You want to discuss more on IM ?

Just curious, since I was trying to build Collada-DOM on Linux only a couple of days back and it looked like trunk was broken. Were you able to build Collada DOM?

I ran into issus yesturday trying to use the viewer in the DOM. It has crazy include path issues. I plan on trying it again and hoping I have better luck. If I run into other problems then I'll post them as I get to them.

trunk?

SVN trunk.

I couldnt build the download version either. Please do let me know if you make some headway with this.

In any case, if its only to read geometry, I just wrote my own parser which works as of now. However, I see that you need the animation data as well, which I have not implemented yet.

If all attempts at building Collada DOM fails I can put my source code up as a new project under MIT license and anyone interested can collaborate so as to parse the other data too (must be quite easy but laborious). Since my understanding of software design principles isnt exactly top notch and thus my code lacking in that regard, if someone else has a semi-finished Collada parser that they'd open up, I'd be happy to collaborate on that too.

I don't know if this can be beneficial or not but there is also Assimp. It has compatibility with Collada already and is BSD 3-clause license so we can use it for whatever.

I haven't looked at it yet to see how easy it wold be to use its Collada implementation.

ASSIMP looks awesome! How come no one told me about this?!

Well I am glad it can help! I haven't tried looking at it yet but I hope it has what I need for animating, but if all it does is load and draw then thats a great start.

Draw? Why do you need it to draw? Anything that draws stops being an importer and starts becoming an implementation. For eg. you may want to use display lists say... I'd prefer vertex buffering it while another person would just go with the immediate mode (since you are talking about openGL).

What you'd need essentially is something (like Assimp) to parse all the data from the format for you so that you can use the data (given by Assimp like this) to do the drawing as you'd require.

my bad, I call displaying the model drawing. If the code in ASSIMP takes care of that then great!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast