Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Triangle normals

Re: Triangle normals

A "vertex" is not just a position. A vertex includes many attributes that make it unique, including position, normal, texture coordinate, color, etc.. It means that your mesh has 1668 unique vertices (position + normal).

It is clear. But what is it when one position has more than one normal? What does it mean in 3D graphics?

It means you have more then one vertex with coincident position.

Stupid question Marcus, but as a new user I am wondering what makes a vertex coincident? I checked out the wikipedia, but would like to hear from somebody with Collada experience who could maybe simplify the definition for me.

Coincident vertices are ones that share the same position, e.g. a triangle with two vertices at the origin and one elsewhere results in a line. i.e. it's a degenerate triangle.

The concept of coincidence can apply to all the vertex attributes (position, normal, color, texcoords, tangents, etc. etc.) if one is sorting vertices to remove all redundency from the set of vertices. Any single attribute of a vertex that is unique, that differentiates it from others for the purpose at hand, makes for a unique vertex.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12