Thread: Sample transparency exports (examples requested)

Sample transparency exports (examples requested)

I am trying to build up a collection of the ways in which various popular modelling packages and associated plugins (Sketchup, Maya, Max, XSI, for example) export a simple test model that illustrates the use of a texture with an alpha component used to indicate transparency. The model should be a simple quad (possibly rendered as two triangles) to which a single texture has been attached (probably in the diffuse channel, depending on lighting model). I have attached an example texture to this post. It consists of a simple chequerboard of green and black squares. The green squares have an alpha component set to 1 and are meant to be opaque and the black squares have an alpha component set to zero and are meant to be totally transparent. To get the ball rolling I have attached the following example files for Sketchup

1. The texture file used.
    2. A screenshot of the model in Sketchup.
    3. A screenshot of the kmz file imported into Google earth.

I will upload the next two when I have worked out how to get the forum to accept non image files.

4. The Sketchup (.skp) file
    5. The Collada file produced. This is a .kmz (zip archive) which contains the dae file.

It would be really helpful if anyone with access a modeller other than Sketchup could produce a simple test model as I have described above and post the results here and/or email to me at roger@beardandsandals.co.uk and I will summarise.

Thanks,

Roger

Re: Sample transparency exports (examples requested)

I cannot get the forum to accept non image files so here is the relevant extract from the Sketchup 7 dae file

<lambert>
    <emission>
    <color>0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1</color>
    </emission>
    <ambient>
    <color>0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1</color>
    </ambient>
    <diffuse>
    <texture texture="material_0_1_0-image-sampler" texcoord="UVSET0"/>
    </diffuse>
    <transparent>
    <color>1 1 1 1</color>
    </transparent>
    <transparency>
    <float>0.000000</float>
    </transparency>
    </lambert>

The texture referred to is the sample chequerboard I attached to the first post.

Roger

What file extension are you trying? (they can be enabled) Or you can link them from the OWL database.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    What file extension are you trying? (they can be enabled) Or you can link them from the OWL database.
    Marcus,

From memory I tried the original extensions (.dae and .kmz). I think I then tried .zip and then adding a .jpg (i.e. xxxx.dae.jpg). But it seemed to know they were not images and ignored them. When I get some time I will put them in the OWL database. However, I have zero responses for my request for help with contributions for other exporters.

I this any chance you can have a look at the last couple of messages I put on the main transparency thread. I would really appreciate your input on them.

Roger