FCollada vs Collada DOM
I was hoping someone could provide a comparison between the FCollada and Collada DOM APIs.
So far I understand that FCollada is simpler, but does that mean its lacking features?
I can't analyze FCollada because I haven't worked with it much, but let me share what I consider to be the strengths and weaknesses of the DOM.
- Free and open source[/*:m:nxcw20t5]
- Cross platform (Windows static lib/dll, Linux static/shared lib, Mac framework, PS3 static lib)[/*:m:nxcw20t5]
- Responsive support (me!)[/*:m:nxcw20t5]
- Much easier to use than it used to be (2.0 has tons of usability improvements)[/*:m:nxcw20t5]
- Supports every element in Collada[/*:m:nxcw20t5]
- Type system makes some code awkward to write[/*:m:nxcw20t5]
- Doesn't support working with multiple versions of the Collada schema in the same app[/*:m:nxcw20t5]
- Somewhat strange naming scheme (DAE, daeElement, domNode, domFx_sampler2D_common)[/*:m:nxcw20t5]
- Binaries are pretty big for what it actually provides in functionality[/*:m:nxcw20t5]