Thread: 2D Collada

2D Collada

For a project I am doing I need to get flat surfaces into Google Earth. What I am doing now is turning 2D data into 3D Collada in C# for Google Earth to understand it. The conversion from 2D to 3D (adding an extra 0.000 for the X or Y components) takes up unnecessary processing time (think 612 * 25 sets of coordinates).
    Is it not possible that I only define the Y and Z coordinates and forget all about the X or doesn't Google understand this? I tried it but doesn't seem to work. I simply deleted the <param name="X" type="float"/> line and adjusted the counts and strides accordingly. Is there parhaps more to it than this?

Cheers - Gj

Collada's accessors are super flexible but implementers have generally done a poor job supporting them fully. I don't know whether or not Google Earth supports 2D position input (X and Y, or Y and Z, etc), but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't. You could try filing a bug with them, but your best bet is to just pad the data to make full 3D positions.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjsonke
    The conversion from 2D to 3D (adding an extra 0.000 for the X or Y components) takes up unnecessary processing time (think 612 * 25 sets of coordinates).
    Are you saying it takes excessively long? I wouldn't think it'd be that bad for ~15K vertices.