Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: web3D usability

How do you visualize flash content without a plug-in ?
    I don't. This was meant as reference I want to exclude any type of plugin that could have issues running on another OS. Basically, If I was to install Linux on my dishwasher, I should be able to also view the 3D content I throw at it.

There were some java-based solutions in the past but they never matured because they lacked commercial usability (no market either). Currently, I can only think of Strata Live3D and Wirefusion. Maybe there is a Mac development but I'm unaware of anything that happens on Apple.

COLLADA viewer as applet embedded in webpage

Quote Originally Posted by remi
    The are using a Java plug-in, which is embedded in the web page. I do not know exactly how they do it, but there must be a way to make Whoola user friendly in the same way ?
    I am making some progress on this:
    http://earth.whoola.com:8080/space/cyber/doc/applet/

It is embedded in the webpage as an applet but I still have the old window frame hanging around. My next step is to get rid of that.

It's a big download, mostly due to the text-to-speech (TTS) files. They are optional but right now my example includes them.
    David Wallace Croft
    www.CroftSoft.com

Much better,

What is missing now to make it convenient, is to be able to use the mouse to rotate the object, like in the strata case.

Regards
    -- Remi

What is missing now to make it convenient, is to be able to use the mouse to rotate the object, like in the strata case.
    The user can change the viewpoint using the keyboard commands but I can add mouse as well. It is now on my to-do list.

I am not sure the applet version of Cyberspace has much of a future. Since the users have to explicitly grant the applet authorization to full access to their computer before it will run so that it can get to the native OpenGL layer, it will be a turn-off to users and deployers. Because of this, I think a COLLADA applet won't be accepted until there is a workaround.

The desktop application version works fine.
    David Wallace Croft
    www.CroftSoft.com

I am not sure the applet version of Cyberspace has much of a future.
    I was under the impression that is what users are looking for.
    So, why is strata not having the authorization problem with their applet ?

I was under the impression that is what users are looking for.
    So, why is strata not having the authorization problem with their applet ?
    I am guessing that they are using a pure Java implementation instead of native bindings. For small applets embedded in a webpage, software rendering might be able to achieve the framerate required for animation.
    http://www.strata.com/showcase_detail.a ... ategory=85

Cyberspace uses a scenegraph API which uses Java Binding for the OpenGL API (JOGL) under the covers. This permits it to take advantage of hardware rendering. It would be more flexible if it could switch between hardware and software rendering depending on how it was deployed. If I can find a pure Java implementation of JOGL or create a minimal subset, I might be able to make this happen. I will look around and see what I can find.
    https://jogl.dev.java.net/
    David Wallace Croft
    www.CroftSoft.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12