Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XSI 5.11 Collada Export Bug

XSI 5.11 Collada Export Bug

I'm getting duplicate id attributes in my exports. One example of this problem is an image and a material sharing the same id.

The other example looks like:

Code :
    <triangles count="14" material="DefaultLib1.Material5">
    	<input semantic="VERTEX" source="#geometries_98-Vtx" offset="0"/>
    	<input semantic="NORMAL" source="#geometries_98-ImplicitNormal" offset="1"/>
    	<input semantic="NORMAL" source="#geometries_98-User_Normal" offset="2"/>
    	<input semantic="TEXCOORD" source="#geometries_98-Texture_Projection" offset="3"/>
    	<input semantic="COLOR" source="#geometries_98-Vertex_Color" offset="4"/>
    	<input semantic="COLOR" source="#geometries_98-Vertex_Color" offset="5"/>
    	<input semantic="COLOR" source="#geometries_98-Vertex_Color" offset="6"/>
    	<input semantic="COLOR" source="#geometries_98-Vertex_Color" offset="7"/>
    	<input semantic="COLOR" source="#geometries_98-Vertex_Color" offset="8"/>
    	<input semantic="COLOR" source="#geometries_98-Vertex_Color" offset="9"/>
    	<input semantic="COLOR" source="#geometries_98-Vertex_Color" offset="10"/>
    	<input semantic="COLOR" source="#geometries_98-Vertex_Color" offset="11"/>

Note all the colour inputs. There are actually seperate <source> elements and data exported for each one of those colour references, and each has the same id. I'm not sure why there are so many (I haven't talked to the artist yet), but I'm sure they should have unique ids.

Cheers,
    Dave

The id attribute values need to be unique within the document. Sounds like a bug in the XSI exporter.

Does anyone know of somewhere I can report this?

Thanks,
    Dave

Hi Dave,

please send me the repro steps to create the scenes with which you're having the problem. I will enter the issue in our database at Softimage and will make sure that we look into it.

thanks a lot for this feedback!
    LB

To reproduce, simply create and export a scene where a material and a clip share the same name. They will both be given that name as an id for the respective <image> and <material> elements. Keep in mind there are other situations where duplicate ids are generated, such as the vertex colour thing, but that is a bit more complicated so I'll try to get a repro case when I have some time.

Other issues I have found:

There is really strange behaviour with the handling of CgFX parameters. If I create a parameter in a cgfx file like:

Code :
    A: float1 Colour = 0.8f;
    B: float2 Colour = {0.8f, 0.5f};
    C: float3 Colour = {0.8f, 0.5f, 0.1f};
    D: float4 Colour = {0.8f, 0.5f, 0.1f, 1.f};

I do these one at a time, and assign that cgfx file to a CgFX node in the render tree. The <setparam> element it generates for those cases (without tweaking the values) looks like:

Code :
    A:
    <setparam ref="Colour">
    	<1>0.800000</1>
    </setparam>

B:
    <setparam ref="Colour">
    	<2></2>
    </setparam>

C:
    <setparam ref="Colour">
    	<3></3>
    </setparam>

D:
    <setparam ref="Colour">
    	<float4>0.800000 0.500000 0.100000 1.000000</float4>
    </setparam>

Strangely, this seems to only happen in certain cases: if it is the last tweakable parameter in the file, or if it is followed by a string parameter (may be other cases as well).

You can work around this issue by placing a float4 after any troublesome parameters, but I would still consider it a major problem since it generates invalid XML.

One other issue/feature request is to support exporting writeable image sources. I use a rendertree with a writable image for a lightmap, and then link that same image to a CgFX node. I get good results in the OpenGL viewport (it uses the lightmap properly), but when I export to COLLADA, I just get <init_from>file://</init_from> for the lightmap <image>.

Sort of related to that, but not a COLLADA bug, is the fact that I can't write lightmaps in DDS or HDR format, and the OpenGL viewport doesn't seem to handle EXR or HDR images properly (the only formats that support HDR AFAIK). Because of this if I attach a readable source to the lightmap EXR (as a workaround), I get a valid export, but no OpenGL preview.

One more:

Relative paths shouldn't have a URI scheme on them, I get things like:

"file://Pictures/surface_map.bmp"

which should be just:

"Pictures/surface_map.bmp"

Also absolute local paths should be prefixed with a /, right now it's:

"file://C:/blah"

should be:

"file:///C:/blah"

Cheers,

Dave

Code :
    <accessor source="geometries_0-Pos-array" count="81" stride="3">

'source' attributes are URI format, the value should be prefixed with #.

Buggy Collada 1.4 exporter in XSI 5.11.

Quote Originally Posted by Corngood
    Code :
    <accessor source="geometries_0-Pos-array" count="81" stride="3">

'source' attributes are URI format, the value should be prefixed with #.
    Yep, but not all of them are messed up, so it looks like the programmer just forgot to update some of them when the changeover from version 1.3 to version 1.4 was made.

Specifically, the Skin, Position, Normal and UV Texture source accessors are all malformed:

Code :
    accessor source="geometries_0-Pos-array"

should be:

Code :
    accessor source="#geometries_0-Pos-array"

And:

Code :
    accessor source="geometries_0-Texture_Projection-array"

should be:

Code :
    accessor source="#geometries_0-Texture_Projection-array"

Also:

Code :
    accessor source="geometries_0-ImplicitNormal-array"

should be:

Code :
    accessor source="#geometries_0-ImplicitNormal-array"

And finally:

Code :
    skin source="geometries_0"

should be:

Code :
    skin source="#geometries_0"

One other bug - the <node> elements that are bones are supposed to have an attribute:

Code :
    type="JOINT"

It appears that some of these bugs have been reported on various forums for many weeks (if not months), and no update has been released. Is someone at Softimage actively working on fixing bugs in the Collada 1.4 export feature?

As it stands now, the Collada 1.4 exporter in XSI 5.11 is seriously broken, and it is not usable in a production environment.

I also posted these bugs on the Softimage XSI Foundation General Discussion forum:

http://forum.softimage.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7463
    http://forum.softimage.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7465

Re: Buggy Collada 1.4 exporter in XSI 5.11.

Quote Originally Posted by Huidafa
    As it stands now, the Collada 1.4 exporter in XSI 5.11 is seriously broken, and it is not usable in a production environment.
    I've come to the same conclusion. At first I was impressed that they had built-in collada support, but now it's looking like a drawback. At least with with the open source tools (max/maya) I can fix any problems I come across.

Native support will be good in the long run, but _all_ the tools are so immature right now that having the source has been critical for me.

Re: Buggy Collada 1.4 exporter in XSI 5.11.

Quote Originally Posted by Corngood
    Quote Originally Posted by Huidafa
    I've come to the same conclusion. At first I was impressed that they had built-in collada support, but now it's looking like a drawback. At least with with the open source tools (max/maya) I can fix any problems I come across.

Native support will be good in the long run, but _all_ the tools are so immature right now that having the source has been critical for me.
    Yep. For me this is all very annoying, because I have a fair amount of experience writing Collada 1.4 exporters for my other modelers (Hexagon/Carrara and Modo 201), so if I had the source code for XSI 5's Collada 1.4 exporter, I could fix these fatal errors myself. But now that the XSI 5 Collada 1.4 exporter is built-in (and closed source) we're stuck waiting for an update that may or may not come anytime soon. (I would prefer not to start implementing my own Collada 1.4 exporter for XSI 5, given that I already paid USD $495 for one from Softimage.)

[Edit: Thanks for responding, Softimage.]

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast