Help:Naming an article
(Redirected from Help:Naming wiki articles)
|Policies and guidelines|
Wiki software allows you to turn any text into a link (like this) to another wiki article.
Here are some tips for naming articles.
Things to consider when naming articles
- Use simple nouns, names, or phrases that would work well in a sentence.
- Use singular, not plural, if at all possible. (This wiki's linking can add plurals easily in most cases but not subtract them.)
- Use words in the titles that people are likely to search for and that you can use easily in sentences within other articles.
- But be specific; the title should describe what's in the article. This wiki site might end up containing information about multiple products and COLLADA in general, so be specific when you need to be. Examples:
- demo is a good title for a description of what a demo in general is, but not for a specific demo or product. In the latter case, something like list of COLLADA demos or COLLADA demo for SigGRAPH 2006 would be better.
- Sony might be a good title for a description of Sony the company, but not of COLLADA tie-ins provided by Sony. In the latter case, COLLADA DOM API or Sony COLLADA plug-ins would be better.
- Avoid gratuitious punctuation and special characters, but use when needed.
Examples of useful article titles
- COLLADA: This article could describe COLLADA and you can also just link to it in any sentence about COLLADA. For example:
- "Several companies worked together to develop COLLADA".
- naming wiki articles: states clearly what it's about and is spelled & phrased so that it can be used in a sentence:
- "Before creating articles here, read more about naming wiki articles."
Examples of bad article titles
- Issues: Whose issues? About what?
- Face to Face Work Group Meeting Info & RSVP: It's all capitalized, so it doesn't fit into a sentence nicely and no one's likely to ever type it that way. It covers two topics: the meeting itself and the RSVPing. It doesn't say WHICH F2F meeting it refers to. Better for this wiki site might be: Face-to-face meeting August 26 2006
- InfoAboutThisWiki: Use spaces. Don't capitalize.
To stimulate your thoughts further
- View the list of all existing article titles. See which ones make sense to you and which seem to make reasonable titles.