Help:Deleting an article
|Policies and guidelines|
Only users with sysop privileges can delete articles.
In most cases, if any of the text is to be preserved, it is best to rename the article rather than to delete it. Delete it only if:
- It has existed for only a very short time--maybe a day or two.
- It is a misspelling or mislabeling that has already been replaced by another existing article.
- It is pure junk. (If you want to experiment, use the sandbox if possible rather than creating and deleting pages.)
To request that an article be deleted:
- Go to the article and click What links here in the left navigation bar to see which other articles contain links to this article. Edit those articles to remove the links or point them somewhere more appropriate.
- Clear the text from the article.
- Insert the delete template at the top of the article.
- Review articles in Category:Articles for deletion.
- Go to each article and:
- Review the reason for deletion; if not valid, remove the delete template from the article and state why in the article's talk page; if valid, continue.
- Make sure that there are no links to this article (as described above).
- Delete as appropriate.