3D Asset Exchange Schema
COLLADA™ defines an XML-based schema to make it easy to transport 3D assets between applications - enabling diverse 3D authoring and content processing tools to be combined into a production pipeline. The intermediate language provides comprehensive encoding of visual scenes including: geometry, shaders and effects, physics, animation, kinematics, and even multiple version representations of the same asset.COLLADA FX enables leading 3D authoring tools to work effectively together to create shader and effects applications and assets to be authored and packaged using OpenGL® Shading Language, Cg, CgFX, and DirectX® FX.
COLLADA at a glance
COLLADA defines an XML Namespace and database schema to make it easy to transport 3D assets between applications without loss of information, enabling diverse 3D authoring and processing tools to be combined into a content production pipeline.
COLLADA 1.5 is the newest specification that provides all of the features found in the stable COLLADA 1.4 schema plus several new features that enable users of CAD, GIS, and Automation applications to enjoy the benefits of open standard royalty free content format.
- COLLADA 1.5.0 Specification (Last updated: Oct 2008)
- COLLADA 1.5.0 Release Notes
- COLLADA 1.5.0 Specification in Japanese (Last updated: May 2009) *NEW*
- COLLADA 1.5.0 Release Notes in Japanese *NEW*
- COLLADA 1.5.0 Schema (includes B-rep, geolocation, and OpenGL ES 2.0 Profile)
COLLADA 1.4 is the stable release of the specification that has been widely adopted by the video game, digital entertainment, and GIS industries. This version of COLLADA supports geometry meshes, skinning, morphing, animation, physics, shaders and effects.
- COLLADA 1.4 Schema Reference Card ( View online )
- COLLADA 1.4.1 Specification (Second edition)
- COLLADA 1.4.1 Release Notes (Second edition)
- COLLADA 1.4.1 Specification in Japanese
- COLLADA 1.4.1 Release Notes Revision B in Japanese
- COLLADA 1.4.1 Schema (includes OpenGL ES Profile)
- COLLADA 1.4.1 Schema (updated for microsoft XSD)
- COLLADA 1.4 Implementers package
The Khronos Group is host to the COLLADA community web site (http://collada.org) where users and adopters from around the world visit to ask questions and share their COLLADA knowledge and test content. There are also a growing number of open source software projects that can help you to develop your COLLADA applications more quickly:
- OpenCOLLADA hosted on Github
- COLLADA Test Model Bank (exchange test models for COLLADA development projects)
COLLADA enables content creation pipelines
COLLADA supports all the features that modern 3D interactive authoring applications and DCC (digital content creation) tools need to exchange and fully preserve asset data and meta data. its The COLLADA feature set is expanding to incorporate technologies such as packaging programmable shader effects and controlling real-time physics engines. COLLADA enables powerful content creation pipelines that can automatically condition and scale 3D geometry and texture assets for real-time playback on a wide diversity of platforms.
- COLLADA transports 3D assets between applications
Enables binding of diverse DCC and 3D processing tools into a production pipeline
- COLLADA is a XML database schema for 3D assets
COLLADA is an intermediate language - not a delivery format and not a scene graph
- COLLADA can be lossless
Retains all information - even multiple versions of the same asset
- COLLADA has comprehensive encoding of visual scenes
Including geometry, animation, shaders and physics
- COLLADA is an open, archive-grade format that retains meta information
When your DCC tool upgrades, you keep your assets
What's New in COLLADA 1.5?
Core Feature Enhancements
- B-rep geometry
- Asset Geolocation
- Compressed Archives (.ZAE Zipped Exchange Archive format)
- Node proxies (Level of Detail and Streaming)
- Improved XML Schema data typing and validation
- OpenGL ES 2.0 Profile
- Bridge Profile to external systems: DirectX FX and CgFX
- Improved texture binding and full screen effects
COLLADA 1.4 Features
Core Feature Enhancements
- Mesh geometry
- Data validation
COLLADA FX is the first cross-platform standard shader and effects definition written in XML. It targets high-end systems running OpenGL Shading Language (GLSL) and Cg (HLSL coming), as well as resource-constrained systems (OpenGL ES 1.x profile). It provides:
- Next generation lighting, shading and texturing
- High level effects and shaders
- Support for all shader models (1.x, 2.0, 3.0) under CG and GLSL profiles.
- Rigid Body Dynamics
- Rag Dolls
- Collision Volumes
- Enables data interchange between Ageia (PhysX), Havok, Bullet, ODE and other game physics middleware
COLLADA Open Source Software
COLLADA Refinery and coherency check
COLLADA Refinery and Coherency Checker - please use this tool to check if your exported COLLADA documents are valid.
COLLADAMax and COLLADAMaya
COLLADAMax and COLLADAMaya are new implementations of 3ds Max or Maya plug-ins to export scenes or parts of them to a COLLADA file, released under an MIT-license. In contrast to other existing COLLADA exporters, this new plug-in does not store the COLLADA document in an intermidiate data model but writes it directly to file. This leads to a dramatic reduction of memory consumption and to much a better performance.
Implementers of COLLADA
- NetAllied Systems GmbH