Thread: local_work_size question

local_work_size question

if I understand correctly, local_work_size tells how many GPU cores will process the global_work_size ? That means with local_work_size = 1 and global_work_size=10 I can create a kernell that would do: a=a+1 and not worry about it getting screwed?

Re: local_work_size question

Quote Originally Posted by Noidea
    if I understand correctly, local_work_size tells how many GPU cores will process the global_work_size ? That means with local_work_size = 1 and global_work_size=10 I can create a kernell that would do: a=a+1 and not worry about it getting screwed?
    No, local worksize is actually the size of workgroup. Workgroup is a bunch of workitems which share the same local buffers.
    Blog (in russian)

Re: local_work_size question

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim Milakov
    Quote Originally Posted by Noidea
    No, local worksize is actually the size of workgroup. Workgroup is a bunch of workitems which share the same local buffers.
    ok, thanks .. I dont understand what you mean by local buffers but atleast I know I wasnt thinking right. Gona google.