Thread: Pointers to arrays

Pointers to arrays

I have an array of pointers to global inside a function, I'm having issues with having a pointer then to this array.
    For example if I have
    global double2 * Start[SIZE];

I get errors when I try to pass it as (global double2 **) argument to a function.
    Are these errors from the specific implementation or am I doing things incorrectly?

Error Message:

Call parameter type does not match function signature!
    %ptr210 = getelementptr inbounds [6 x <2 x double> addrspace(1)*]* %Start, i32 0, i32 0 ; <<2 x double> addrspace(1)**> [#uses=1]
    <2 x double> addrspace(1)* addrspace(1)* %call216 = call i32 @func(<2 x double> addrspace(1)** %ptr210) nounwind ; <i32> [#uses=0]
    Broken module found, compilation aborted!
    Stack dump:
    0. Running pass 'Module Verifier' on function '@__OpenCL_Main_kernel'
    Aborted

note: I am not passing it as a kernel function

Re: Pointers to arrays

I get errors when I try to pass it as (global double2 **) argument to a function.
    Are these errors from the specific implementation or am I doing things incorrectly?
    From section 6.8 of the specification:

Arguments to __kernel functions in a program cannot be declared as a pointer to a pointer(s). Variables inside a function or arguments to non __kernel functions in a program can be declared as a pointer to a pointer(s)
    Disclaimer: Employee of Qualcomm Canada. Any opinions expressed here are personal and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer. LinkedIn profile.

As I have already mentioned it's not an argument to a kernel function. so therefore it's an implementation error?

Right, it's an implementation bug:

Variables inside a function [this includes kernel functions] or arguments to non __kernel functions in a program can be declared as a pointer to a pointer(s)
    Disclaimer: Employee of Qualcomm Canada. Any opinions expressed here are personal and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer. LinkedIn profile.

Cheers: ati v2.2 update to ati v2.3 solved the issue