Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mouse pointer 'set position' or bust!

Re: Mouse pointer 'set position' or bust!

Allowing end-users to "white-list" sites that they trust to take over the cursor would probably work - but unless it becomes mainstream HTML5 and is implemented on every browser, it's not very useful. There is a general resistance out there to options like this that require the end user to decide whether they trust a site or not because after enough sites have asked for permission, a large percentage of users get fatigued with thinking about it and just click the "Yes" box whenever it comes up.

But if it were to happen in both the Mozilla engine and WebKit - then it would certainly go some way towards fixing the problem.

However, there is still going to be an issue for touch-screen users - you can't reposition their fingers! Hence, we still need to figure out an alternative way to handle this - and once we have, we won't need this feature for desktop machines.

Then what about a very small middle dead zone and with a non linear EXPONENTIAL FUNCTION for the outside more. If you could tune them well I don't even think there is a need for a dead zone

Yes - I think that's going to be the answer here. Map the mouse position to the camera's angular velocity using a "bathtub curve". It won't be as familiar - and probably not so easy to use - as the conventional FPS mouse controls - but it's the best you can reasonably do under the circumstances.

When you do this, there are still some "gotchas".

1) It's all too easy to move the mouse outside of the window altogether - and thereby lose focus.

2) When your mouse is outside of the window - you can't move it back in again without spinning the camera wildly along the way.

3) Aiming quickly and aiming accurately become two mutually exclusive things!

4) The time I find this most annoying is when I'm trying to take a screen shot! I get it all beautifully posed in the game - but now my mouse is in the middle of the "dead zone", and I can't get to the screenshot tool without screwing up the image! Hence you need to have it so that some combination of mouse buttons produce the ability to move the mouse without moving the camera.

1) It's all too easy to move the mouse outside of the window altogether - and thereby lose focus.

2) When your mouse is outside of the window - you can't move it back in again without spinning the camera wildly along the way.
    It is possible to catch when the mouse pointer is outside the frame and then give a approriate solution which could prevent such a thing. It is of course up to the developer then to decide what is approriate.

3) Aiming quickly and aiming accurately become two mutually exclusive things!
    that is of course fine tuning but this is indeed something that will be hard to achieve

4) The time I find this most annoying is when I'm trying to take a screen shot! I get it all beautifully posed in the game - but now my mouse is in the middle of the "dead zone", and I can't get to the screenshot tool without screwing up the image! Hence you need to have it so that some combination of mouse buttons produce the ability to move the mouse without moving the camera.
    Creating a puase key button in the game when it is szingle player should be sufficient, I think. For multiplayer you'll either have to have a keybaord shortcut or something that you propose of course.

Pals?!

I am just wondering.. How could people use the command to set the mouse position when everybody else says its not possible?!

We got the Quake II Demo here established with very early standarts of WebGL..

http://crystalin.dyndns.org:8080/GwtQuake.html

Still, how could they use the regular FPS-cotrol style and we cant?! I am more familiar to ActionScript. But I still dont know what the actual threat is.. Is it that once we use this function, that bad boys can manipulate it? Or is it that we canīt use the function at all (because Khronos wouldnīt allow us to use it?)

Please make this more clear to me. And btw: happy new year to everyone

Thx
    KK

There should be no need for JavaScript code to directly touch the mouse cursor.

Ideally we'd simply switch the mouse to a "delta mode" where the browser hides the mouse and returns mouse delta events. To avoid security problems the regular HTML mouse processing is turned off.

Pressing ESC returns you to normal mouse mode. I think most users are familiar with returning from fullscreen video modes so it should be intuitive to them.

Can anyone see any security problems stemming from this?

To avoid security problems the regular HTML mouse processing is turned off.
    You need the cursor to freeze (warpcursor) , otherwise youll be triggering the OS start menu etc, not something you want to see during an action game

Though at the moment I'ld rather see the issue of HTML5 sound solved first ATM its a mess

If the browser application has correctly captured the mouse input, there shouldn't be any external OS interaction, so this wouldn't be a problem.

Totally agreed on the sound issue! But that's another topic.

Quote Originally Posted by DRJ
    Yes. What is to prevent a site from putting you in that delta mode and keeping you there, unable to access anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by lthornblad
    Quote Originally Posted by DRJ
    Yes. What is to prevent a site from putting you in that delta mode and keeping you there, unable to access anything else?
    Pressing escape. Just as you would exit a full screen mode when watching a video on YouTube. I think the average user could cope with that, especially if there was a fading textual reminder they can do that in the same way.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast