Thread: CL_INVALID_WORK_GROUP_SIZE on OSX Lion

CL_INVALID_WORK_GROUP_SIZE on OSX Lion

Hi All,

I am using JOCL as the binding for OpenCL.

Exact same code running OK (and fast) on Snow Leopard (OpenCL 1.0) but is throwing the following error on Lion (OpenCL 1.1):

com.jogamp.opencl.CLException$CLInvalidWorkGroupSi zeException: can not enqueue 1DRange CLKernel [id: 140699706121896 name: IntegrateHHStep]
    with gwo: null gws: {256} lws: {256}
    cond.: null events: null [error: CL_INVALID_WORK_GROUP_SIZE]

I am using the following code to define the local workgroup size and global worksize for the I/O buffers:

// Length of array to process
    int elementCount = models.size();
    // Local work size dimensions for the selected device
    int localWorkSize = min(device.getMaxWorkGroupSize(), 256);
    // rounded up to the nearest multiple of the localWorkSize
    int globalWorkSize = roundUp(localWorkSize, elementCount);
    // results buffers are bigger as we are capturing every value for every item for every time-step
    int globalWorkSize_Results = roundUp(localWorkSize, elementCount*timeConfigSteps);

If I set the localWorkSize to 0, so that it will pick-up automatically a work-size this eventually works on Lion but performance (when compared to previous performance on Snow Leopard) goes down a lot:

int elementCount = models.size();
    int localWorkSize = 0;
    int globalWorkSize = elementCount;
    int globalWorkSize_Results = elementCount*timeConfigSteps;

Can someone explain what could be going on here? Is the error about the local or the global workgroup size and has anyone a clue how to troubleshoot/fix this?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: CL_INVALID_WORK_GROUP_SIZE on OSX Lion

int localWorkSize = min(device.getMaxWorkGroupSize(), 256);
    That part is the problem. The maximum work-group size actually depends on the kernel you are trying to run. You are only querying the maximum that the device can theoretically support.

In the C bindings you would need to call clGetKernelWorkGroupInfo(..., CL_KERNEL_WORK_GROUP_SIZE, ...) to query the maximum work-group size that you can use in a particular kernel.
    Disclaimer: Employee of Qualcomm Canada. Any opinions expressed here are personal and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer. LinkedIn profile.

Hi David, thanks for your help.

That part is the problem. The maximum work-group size actually depends on the kernel you are trying to run. You are only querying the maximum that the device can theoretically support.
    Can you articulate further on this - how would my kernel affect the maximum work-group size Yeah, I am a noob!

In the C bindings you would need to call clGetKernelWorkGroupInfo(..., CL_KERNEL_WORK_GROUP_SIZE, ...) to query the maximum work-group size that you can use in a particular kernel.
    This sounds promising, so basically I need to find the equivalent of this in JOCL.

Can you articulate further on this - how would my kernel affect the maximum work-group size Yeah, I am a noob!
    One of the key factors is that the hardware has a limited supply of general-purpose registers (GPRs). The more work-items you want to execute simultaneously, the more GPRs you will need. There may be other limiting factors.
    Disclaimer: Employee of Qualcomm Canada. Any opinions expressed here are personal and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer. LinkedIn profile.