Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner question: understanding NDRange

Beginner question: understanding NDRange

Hello,

I'm learning OpenCL and I'm having some difficult understanding the NDRange concept. All I have to understand is that it is related to the positions of work-items, etc right? Where can I find some simple examples about 1, 2 and 3 dimension problems?

Thanks in advance

Re: Beginner question: understanding NDRange

A very basic example for a 1-dimensional problem is vector addition. Work-item X is responsible for adding the elements at position X of the input vectors.
    An example for a 2-dimensional problem is matrix multiplication. Work-item (x,y) computes the result of element (x,y) in the output matrix.
    I can't think of a nice 3D problem right now, but I hope that you get the idea...

I see, and from what I've read a 3 dimensional problem could refer to a volume for example.
    Apart from that, what I could conclude from the examples I saw was, and please correct me if I'm wrong: imagining a 1024x1024 image where we want to apply some filter to each pixel.

* The operation to apply would be defined within a kernel, which would be executed 1024*1024 times
    * Those 1024*1024 kernel instances (work-items) could be grouped in 128x128 work-groups (number defined by the user, according to some criteria).
    * NDRange means 'simply' the dimensional index space from where all those kernel instances could be identified

That's right. NDRange describes the space of work-items, which can be 1-, 2- or 3-dimensional. Each work-item then executes the kernel code (usually on different data depending on its position in the work-item space).
    As you said, in your example you would create 1024x1024 work-items that each apply the filter to one pixel in your image, namely work-item (x,y) applies the filter to pixel (x,y).

One last thing, in the OpenCL specification it's written that "Work-groups are assigned a unique work-group ID with the
    same dimensionality as the index space used for the work-items". I'm not quite understanding what does an "id with the same dimensionality as the index space" means.

Thanks a lot!

Another one came up, you said a 2D problem could be for example a matrix multiplication, but I read also that buffer objects in OpenCL are one-dimensional, and for 2D or 3D you have image objects. Does that mean in fact that a problem like matrix multiplication ("apparently" 2D) would have to be mapped to a 1 dimensional problem?

It means that if your work-item space is n-dimensional, your work-group space is also n-dimensional.
    To come back to your example: if you have 1024x1024 work-items (in 2 dimensions), then your workgroups are also arranged in two dimensions, i.e. they are identified by two IDs. For example you can have 64x64 workgroups of size 16x16.

Quote Originally Posted by Rui
    Another one came up, you said a 2D problem could be for example a matrix multiplication, but I read also that buffer objects in OpenCL are one-dimensional, and for 2D or 3D you have image objects. Does that mean in fact that a problem like matrix multiplication ("apparently" 2D) would have to be mapped to a 1 dimensional problem?
    You would have to map the matrix (2-dimensional) to a buffer (1-dimensional), but it's still possible (and sensible) to use a 2-dimensional space of work-items. You just have to make sure you get the indexing right when accessing the matrices.

So, if i call this opencl function size_t get_local_id (uint dimindx) , this would return an unidimensional id of a work-item from a workgroup in the dimindx Dimension. Right?

And the if i want a a bi-dimension coordinates i would have to use the equation, at page 20 from specs,
    (gx , gy) = (wx * Sx + sx , wy * Sy + sy)

right?

Thanks

get_local_id() will return your ID within your current work-group.
    E.g., if your work-group size is 100, and you have 1000 global work-items, work-item 201 will return local_id of 1 (since it's item 1 in work-group 2).

get_global_id(0) will return the 0th dimension global ID. (x)
    get_global_id(1) will return the 1st dimension global ID. (y)
    etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast