Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenCL C++ Bindings

OpenCL C++ Bindings

Some members of the OpenCL Working Group have developed an experimental set of C++ bindings to OpenCL 1.0. The bindings have been posted to the OpenCL Registry. Feedback on the bindings should ideally be reported through Bugzilla, as described in the Registry, but can also be posted in this thread.
    Jon Leech
    EGL & OpenGL Specification Editor / OpenGL ARB Ecosystem TSG Chair / Khronos API Registrar

Re: OpenCL C++ Bindings

I'm Mac OS user (Intel Core Duo2 + NVIDIA GeForce 9400M ), and I understand Snow Leopard will include OpenCL. I browsed the OpenCL overview brochure, but perhaps an experienced person could give me an idea of whether OpenCL will have any benefit for me. I do mainly numeric computation with C++. A lot of vectorized operations (STL) and cmath.

Is OpenCL relevant for my line of work?
    What efficiency gains can I expect (x2, x10)?
    What would be the best way to learn OpenCL?

The file cl.hpp that is on the official site contains bindings for the revision 33; do you have updated one for newer revisions? (namely 48?)

Quote Originally Posted by pirxthepilot
    The file cl.hpp that is on the official site contains bindings for the revision 33; do you have updated one for newer revisions? (namely 48?)
    I've asked about updates - but do remember that these are not official Khronos products.
    Jon Leech
    EGL & OpenGL Specification Editor / OpenGL ARB Ecosystem TSG Chair / Khronos API Registrar

I have an updated version for rev .43 and i'm planning to update to .48 over the next few days. As soon as it is done I request for it to be posted on along side the updated headers.

Quote Originally Posted by e_r
    I'm Mac OS user (Intel Core Duo2 + NVIDIA GeForce 9400M ), and I understand Snow Leopard will include OpenCL. I browsed the OpenCL overview brochure, but perhaps an experienced person could give me an idea of whether OpenCL will have any benefit for me. I do mainly numeric computation with C++. A lot of vectorized operations (STL) and cmath.

Is OpenCL relevant for my line of work?
    What efficiency gains can I expect (x2, x10)?
    What would be the best way to learn OpenCL?
    1) yes
    2) probably more than x10 if the problem is well suited. this is usually the case if you have a lot of vector operations and coalesced memory access. but a concretely answer to this question cannot be given without knowing the problem.
    3) read the opencl reference guide and the nvidia cuda informations.

...) please open a new thread next time because this is off topic!

Jon,

I have posted an updated C++ bindings header for 1.0 rev 43 and would be greatful if you could post it to the website.

Regards,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bgaster
    I have posted an updated C++ bindings header for 1.0 rev 43
    Where we can find it? I want to use the C++ binding, but current version of cl.hpp seems to be incompatible with cl.h

Sorry for the delay but I forgot to build the corrsponding documentation and this is done now and hopefully the updated bindings and documentation should be up by tommorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by cuder
    Where we can find it?
    Benedict's updated C++ bindings are linked from the OpenCL Registry now.
    Jon Leech

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast