Thread: Multiple instances of same component

Multiple instances of same component

Does OpenMAX IL handles multiple instances of the same component? The OMX_GetHandle() API does not have a provision to instantiate a particular instance of a given component. Any comments?

Re: Multiple instances of same component

Quote Originally Posted by rupesh_kumbhare
    Does OpenMAX IL handles multiple instances of the same component?
    Yes. Some hardware will support multiple instances and most software components should also.
    The OMX_GetHandle() API does not have a provision to instantiate a particular instance of a given component. Any comments?
    GetHandle() creates an instance. What do you mean by "does not have a provision to instantiate a particular instance"? Instances of the same component should be (within resource limits) the same, but with seperate state.

Thanks,

Roger
    Roger Nixon, Broadcom Corporation

GetHandle() creates an instance. What do you mean by "does not have a provision to instantiate a particular instance"? Instances of the same component should be (within resource limits) the same, but with seperate state.
    I meant to have a provision for additional argument in GetHandle() such as createConfig which an IL client can supply to differentiate among multiple instances.

I have understood now that you can do the same with SetParameter method to differentiate between the two instances. I assume GetHandle() call always create a new instance and return (within the limit of HW or SW).

Thanks.

I meant to have a provision for additional argument in GetHandle() such as createConfig which an IL client can supply to differentiate among multiple instances.

I have understood now that you can do the same with SetParameter method to differentiate between the two instances. I assume GetHandle() call always create a new instance and return (within the limit of HW or SW).
    OMX_GetHandle() will return a different handle for each component instance. What difference (other than that) are you looking for? Could you give an example?

You do have pAppData to associate your own metadata with a component instance, if that's what you're after.

Thanks,

Roger
    Roger Nixon, Broadcom Corporation