Thread: Z-Buffer on OpenGL ES

Z-Buffer on OpenGL ES

Hey There,

I want to implement the Hidden Surface Removal (HSR) that use the ZBuffer.. but i have a few questions about OpenGL ES.

- Can i access OpenGL ES' zbuffer? How may i do that?
    - If i have to create my own zbuffer algorithm, how can i get the pixels of a polygon`s projection? OpenGL ES help me with that?

Any answers, ideas, questions are welcome. I need some help to implement this HSR

thanks

Wendel B Silva

Re: Z-Buffer on OpenGL ES

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahc
    - Can i access OpenGL ES' zbuffer? How may i do that?
    No, you cannot read values from the depth buffer, and the only ways of writing to it are rendering triangles and clear.

- If i have to create my own zbuffer algorithm, how can i get the pixels of a polygon`s projection? OpenGL ES help me with that?
    Not in any efficient way. You'd have to transform vertices, clip triangles and rasterize them yourself.

Any answers, ideas, questions are welcome. I need some help to implement this HSR
    Maybe you could explain what's special about your HSR algorithm.
    Georg Kolling, Imagination Technologies
    Please ask questions specific to PowerVR hardware or SDKs on the PowerVR Insider Forum
    DevTech@imgtec.com | http://www.powervrinsider.com

I want make a occlusion culling method.

I wanna get the depth buffer of the last frame renderized, identify the polygons rendered and use it as occluders. Then i render the occluders to the depth buffer use it to fast identify if the polygon will be seen. The polygons i have stored in an octree, then i can fast discard any octree node that isnt needed to be rendered.

I hope its clear

[]'

Wendel B Silva