Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get started with Vincent ?

How to get started with Vincent ?

Hi!

I downloaded the binaries and source for Vincent. Can somebody help me get started with a test project using VC++ 6.0 ?

Thanks!

Re: How to get started with Vincent ?

Vincent is for use with the embedded version of Visual C++, i.e. embedded Visual C++ 4.0 SP3. You can download it for free from the Microsoft web site (to install it alongside with VC++ 6.0), or there is a link in the Vincent references to a CD distribution you can order (it's cheap, you only pay shipping). If you want to develop on VC++ 6.0 targeting windows desktop, the reference implementation should work for you.

Hope that helps.

- hm

I had dowloaded and installed Embedded VC++ 4.0 SP3. Do I need PocketPC and Smartphone SDKs and Emulators ?

Also how can I develop OpenGLES application using Vincent and eMbedded VC++, does somebody has an example program ?

Thanks!

Hi!

Also when I try to start Embedded VC++ it says "Microsoft eMbedded Visual C++ has discovered no CE Platform SDK installed on the desktop". What else do I need to install ?

Thanks!

Yes you need at least either the SDK for Pocket PC or for Smartphone. Similar to how you need the platform SDK to develop for Windows desktop. There is also a getting started guide somewhere on MSDN.

Example programs:

From the Vincent project homepage you can download several redbook samples converted to OpenGL ES/Pocket PC. Just expand this zip file *within* the binary distribution (so ./redbook is at the same level as ./include and /bin), and you should be ready to go.

- hm

Hi!

I tried running the hello.vcp project. It say it could not link "GLES_CL.lib". As you mentioned I moved the redbook examples to same level as /include and /bin both in C:Temp for now.

Thanks!

I just tried using the downloads and I do not have any problems. The binary distribution includes pre-built libraries for the emulator [Win32 (WCE emulator)] and the regular ARM configuration [Win32 (WCE ARMV4)].

Also, you need to select the target platform for a successful built (e.g. Pocket PC 2003).

Let me know if you have still problems resolving this issue.

Hope that helps,
    hm

Hi!

Below are the step I took:

1) Installed Embedded VC++ 4.0
    2) Installed Embedded VC++ 4.0 SP3
    3) Installed PocketPC 2003 SDK
    4) Installed Emulator for PocketPC 2003 second edition.

All of the above into C:\Program Files.

5) Extracted Vincent (binaries and redbook) into C:Temp.
    6) Moved redbook inside the binaries (/bin & /include) directory i.e all (/bin, /include & /redbook) are inside say ogl-es-v081 which is the extracted directory.

When I open the examples in /redbook/evc4 and try to execute, the pocketPC comes up but later the embedded VC++ IDE gives me an error saying it could not find e32def.h which is included in both egl.h and egltypes.h and also GLES_CL.lib.
    Below is the error message for the "hello.vcp" program:

--------------------Configuration: hello - Win32 (WCE ARMV4) Release XScale--------------------
    Compiling...
    hello.c
    Linking...
    LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'GLES_CL.lib'
    Error executing link.exe.

hello.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    -----------------------------------------

-> Do I need to move the GLES headers, libraries and dlls to their appropriate directories like we do for OpenGL (into the VC++/vc6/include/GL/ and /lib and the dlls into System32)

-> Also for some reason I am not able to copy GLES_CL.lib individually.

It's is simple - any OGL program you compile - needs to know where the OGL library is ('GLES_CL.lib')

So you just have to add it project's linker properties (Right click on the test project, select Settings... the Linker tab; then in Category choose Input; add GLES_CL.lib to Object/library modules) Make sure that you added the lib folder where you have GLES_CL.lib to Tools->Options->Directories->Library files for your project and configuration you build (i.e PocketPC Emulator Release)

It is also described here: http://ogl-es.sourceforge.net/developers_guide.htm

I still couldn't get it working. Its making me sick. Ok!

1) I had extracted "ogl-bin-0.81 & redbook" into C:/Temp.

2) Then I copied "redbook " inside ogl-bin-0.81 directory so that /bin, /include and /redbook all are the same level inside ogl-bin-0.81.

3) I went inside C:/Temp/ogl-bin-0.81/redbook/evc4/ and opened "hello.vcp"

4) [img]C:/Temp/projectIDE.jpg[/img] Please watch for the WCE Configuration bar to check if everything is correct.

5) [img]C:/Temp/IncludePath.jpg[/img] for include path.

6) [img]C:/Temp/LibraryPath.jpg[/img] for library path. Should the library path point to GLES_CL.LIB in C:/Temp/ogl-bin-0.81/bin/emu/Debug/ or /Release/
    (OR)
    Should the library path point to GLES_CL.LIB in C:/Temp/ogl-bin-0.81/bin/arm/Debug/ or /Release/

I used the one in C:/Temp/ogl-bin-0.81/bin/emu/Debug/.

7) The GLES_CL.DLL are also available in the above mentioned directories. Do I need to move from there to C:/Temp/ogl-bin-0.81/redbook/evc4/ ?

Now when I execute the program "!" button in EVC++ it says:
    "C:\Temp\ogl-bin-0.81\include\GLES\gl.h(44): Could not find the file e32def.h.

C:\Temp\ogl-bin-0.81\include\GLES\egltypes.h(3: Could not find the file e32def.h."

Where can find these files ? Regardles of the above message it prompts "C:/Temp/ogl-bin-0.81/bin/emu/Debug/hello.exe. This file does not exist. Do you want to build it ?"

If I say yes below is the error message it prints and opens a popup window displaying "Cannot execute program":

"Downloading files
    Downloading file c:\documents and settings\arun\...\bin\emu\debug\hello.exe.
    Finished downloading."

Hope to resolve this problem soon and get started using the actual OpenGL ES.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast