Thread: New Sourceforge Account?

New Sourceforge Account?

Heard about this over at Gamedev.net. Does this mean it's going to be easier for people to get the SDK? I hope so.
    Frag The Planet my website and second home
    Binaural a 3D audio library using the OpenAL API and OpenML digital media

Re: New Sourceforge Account?

It seems
    National Association of Broadcasters (NAB), Las Vegas April 18,
    The Khronos Group today announced that its implementation of the OpenML® API is to be made available as open source on Sourceforge. The OpenML specification provides software and hardware developers with a professional-grade, cross- platform, standardized media framework for the capturing, processing, synchronizing and playing of digital media content - including video, audio and 3D graphics - for authoring and content creation systems. The open source SDK is based largely on SGI's implementation of dmSDK and contains: libraries and utilities to enable OpenML applications to run on Linux, IRIX® and Windows systems; source and header files for the libraries to enable new OpenML applications to be built; source code for example OpenML applications and audio and video device modules and full documentation. The source is expected to available on Sourceforge within two weeks under a derivative of the SGI FreeB license which permits full commercial use of the code for building commercial applications.

For Further Information:
    Briana Lorenz-Marrow
    Khronos Group Public Relations
    email: briana@goldstandardgroup.com
    phone: +1 (970) 744-0251
    ---------------------
    -Ehsan-

[ April 19, 2005: Message edited by: Ehsan Kamrani ]

Well this is the best news I've heard in awhile. I've wanted to get into OpenML programming for awhile. I don't have a fax machine though. In fact, I think it has hurt OpenML all around. I've heard several people on other message boards express this as the cheif reason for not using the API. Open sourcing is a good move. Anyone who was just curious about OpenML, but not curious enough to sign a contract for it, can now just download it and find out how good it is. I'm definately going to use it as soon as the Sourceforge files are uploaded.

Some of the reasons behind this restrictive license was Discreet and DVS ("Clipster") were a major part of the development of OpenML (formerly the Sgi dMsdk) and a lot of the code contributed back was apparently under shared licenses and so there was no way to get it out...

Well then it starts to make a lot more sense. However, it seems to me that any adopter of (or contributer to) OpenML had put some trust in it's success, and would have at the very least wanted to distribute end-user packages so that its development would not be stimied by the fact that there wasn't any drivers available.

A perfect example of my point is with the Jahshaka project, which was the first major piece software to adopt the new API. Its newest release was held back because of the incredible lack of driver support for OpenML. Open sourcing would have been (and hopefully will be) the solution to this problem. If there is at least one redistributable driver available to the public (whether it is a software implementation or not) then any developer who has had even casual interest in the API is more than likely to work with it.

What will be key to the success of OpenML is whether a web community will form around it, and all this assuming that independant developers can easily obtain the software requiremed to work with the library (i.e. the sample implementation). Surely any formal company with interest in becoming an adopter or contributer has had no reservations about signing and faxing in the contract. However, the independant community does have reservations about such things. Justification or explanation about these reservations doesn't even come into the picture. It is these people to whom OpenML needs to conform in order to develop a following, because it is these people who are going to form the online community.

I remember when I first got the alpha release, I was reading the documentation, and I was ready to put together a collection of sample apps that I wanted to turn into tutorials. Of course, the sample apps wouldn't work because the alpha didn't have full Windows support. I also never got hold of the release version. I don't have a fax machine or direct access to a fax machine. Nor did I feel I should go out of my way to find one. My interest ended there for the next year, until now, after I hear that OpenML is being given a Sourceforge account. Maybe I'll get around to writing those tutorials. Maybe I'll try to put together a community.

I do know one thing for sure. Once I have the release version on my PC, I intend to incorporate it into a project I began writing over a year ago, and which was put on hold, at least partially, because I didn't want to go forward without OpenML.

I feel that whatever momentum there was (or could have been) has been lost. Maybe we can get it going again.

[ April 21, 2005: Message edited by: JesseM ]

Hi
    Good letter.You're correct.When people knew that they should fax a licence agreement, they left it--Number of the questions on the OpenML msg board, before and after this decision, shows that this decision really stopped the OpenML growth.
    At this time, there are some hardwares that support the OpenML implementation.I just have searched some of them in the froogle: http://www.google.com/froogle?q=Open...Search+Froogle

Also SGI and DVS companies manufacture the OpenML drivers for some of their video/audio products--Although We don't know that how many devices support the OpenML API and also there's no a complete list about such products somewhere.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>
    I don't believe khronos.org keeps such a list, although if not, it's a good suggestion for the webmaster. SGI supports OpenML on its current IRIX-based digital media options, though, and perhaps some of the other Khronos members will say something here as well regarding their products"
    --------------------

Jon Leech
    OpenGL ARB Secretary / Khronos Representative
    Silicon Graphics, Inc.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have learned the OpenML specification, then you only need to review it.You'll remember everything very fast.
    Good Luck
    -Ehsan-

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> The source is expected to available on Sourceforge within two weeks ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Where is it ? cant find anything on Sourceforge

So, where's the files? I can't find anything there!
    The cool thing is that the moderators have closed down all the public forums of the projects.
    Even now, after about 2 weeks, There's nothing on the file list, and the website either.
    What's happenning? Could somebody please explain? Does anybody know that when It will be available at sourceforge?

I too would definately like to hear some official word on this, because I've been checking the empty Sourceforge page for some time now expecting so see something... ANYTHING!

If the project is being abbandoned then Khronos should come straight out and say it. If not, then let the development community in on some information. I for one am getting annoyed.

And why is it that there are now two new projects (OpenVG and OpenMAX) when you haven't even a promised OpenML SDK out? And how is it that you keep calling these projects "Open" when they are clearly closed (or at least not as open as one should expect given then name)?