Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to open ML_SDK_installer.wip

How to open ML_SDK_installer.wip

A little digging seems to indicate that this file is intended for an older version of Visual Studio and something called "Windows Installer Project".

The only version I have is Visual Studio.NET 7.something, which is unable to open the file. Any way for me to get the SDK source?

Re: How to open ML_SDK_installer.wip

Dear John
    As i have read the SDK, OpenML supports the following version of VC++:
    Microsoft Visual Studio(C++),version 6.0, service pack 5
    See the OpenML ML SDK 1.0 Developer's Manual April 2004
    Ehsan

Thank you for your response, although I do hope that the bottom line for me is not "I can't".

I do not have the older version of Visual Studio, plus I have other projects that rely on the current version that I do have.

For the SDK to require the latest version of Windows, but an older version of Visual Studio certainly seems like a problem that needs to be fixed.

Hello Fabrice
    John has a problem for compiling the ML programs with Visual Studio.NET 7.It seems that he can *only* use from the older version of visual studio(version 6 ).Is it true?
    His question is on the OpenML msg board.
    Thanks
    Ehsan

It is true. We have only verified that the SDK works with 6.0. I'm not sure what would be involved in porting it, but I don't think it would be too difficult.

...Fabrice

[ February 10, 2005: Message edited by: ehsan_kamrani ]

Note that it isn't even a matter of compiling it -- I can't even *see* the SDK source since the current version will not open a .wip file.

- John

If you want to see the source codes, you don't need to open the wip file.you need to open the cpp files.Again i suggest you to study the file *ML_SDK_DEVELOPERS_MANUAL.pdf*.
    You can compile the source code with cygwin.
    Ehsan

I have read all .pdf documents I found, although I don't have one called ML_SDK_DEVELOPERS_MANUAL.pdf. It's likely that this file is inside the installer archive that I cannot access, unless you mean ml-dev-manual.pdf which I have read.

There is also no source code, other than what is in the examples tree.

Let me restate that this is a problem with not being able to install the SDK completely in the first place.

After installing the main mlSDK.msi, and inside src\oss\build\win32, I have a folder called ML_SDK_installer with only a Visual Studio project, and the ML_SDK_installer.wip that is 912KB. Since the latter is an archive for an older version of the Windows installer, I am stuck with being unable to get to the files inside it.

OK.But the "oss" directory consists of the other folders:
    lib/ml, lib/mlu: source for the ML SDK libraries "ml" and "mlu".
    tools/mlquery: source for he ML query utility.
    devices/nullxcode, devices/ossaudio, devices/v4l, devices/winaudio, devices/ustsource: source for the sample devices destributed with the SDK.
    Note that if you want to write the ML programs, you don't need to
    take a look at the sources, or recompile the source.
    Ehsan

Note also that I don't want to "write ML programs". The task I'm considering is porting ML to another platform, and there's not much I can do without the source.

John,

I'm a bit confused as to why you need the installer project? That project is used to prepare the SDK for distribution, producing the package that you have (presumably) installed on your machine.

You would only need to open the installer project if you wanted to modify the way the SDK is packaged and distributed... but presumably, only we (Khronos) need to do that. (So in fact, the installer project file should probably not even be there in the first place -- it isn't useful to anybody but us).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast