Thread: Supported Hardware

Supported Hardware

I am doing a trade study and I'm having trouble finding some information I need. Is there a list somewhere of capture cards/frame grabbers with available native ML modules for Windows? If not for individual boards, what about manufacturers?

What about video cards -- will most cards with OpenGL drivers work, or does the card need a separate ML module? If the latter is the case, is there a list?

Thanks,
    Lance

Re: Supported Hardware

Hello Lance

Here's a suggestion from Fabrice:
    For exploratory work and preliminary testing purposes, you can use pretty much any capture card that works with Windows -- the ML SDK comes with a sample module that simply uses the Windows drivers.

Note however that you will not get real-time performance from this setup, since the ML module is not really a driver, it is simply an app-level emulation. So for final integration and performance tests, you need to find a card that has a native ML module. I know of DVS and SGI that have such cards, there may be others as well.

Also i just searched some video and audio cards for you: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...ff&oi=froogler

Ehsan

I don't have a definitive list of manufacturers either, unfortunately. For sure, SGI and DVS support ML, I'm not sure about anything else.

For a board to be supported *natively*, it definitely requires an ML module. (Although, as Ehsan mentionned, boards may be supported non-natively through sample ML modules and other APIs, such as V4L, for instance). An ML module is completely independent from OpenGL drivers... in fact, a board that does 3D graphics (OpenGL) might not (...generally will not...) also do video I/O (ML).

Thanks for the info. This fills in a couple of holes for me.

Lance