PDA

View Full Version : How to pass/return 2-dimensional arrays in a kernel?

John_Idol
05-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Hi All,

I seem to understand I cannot pass down/return 2-dimensional arrays in OpenCL (declared smt like float** for example in the kernel signature).

Is there a way to work around this? Can I for example pass-down/return an array of float4 vectors?

Just to give a bit of background, the issue here is that I cannot flatten this data out into separate buffers because it's dynamically determined by one of the other input parameters.

Any help/suggestions appreciated (examples welcome too)!

david.garcia
05-22-2011, 05:37 PM
I seem to understand I cannot pass down/return 2-dimensional arrays in OpenCL (declared smt like float** for example in the kernel signature).

Right. It is disallowed in section 6.8.

Can I for example pass-down/return an array of float4 vectors?

Sure you can. You can also pass arrays of structs.

Just to give a bit of background, the issue here is that I cannot flatten this data out into separate buffers because it's dynamically determined by one of the other input parameters.

I don't understand this part. Data can always be flattened. In the very worst case you would need to pass two arguments: one that contains flattened data and another one that is an array of indices into that flattened data.

John_Idol
05-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Hi David, first of all thanks for your prompt reply.

Sure you can. You can also pass arrays of structs.
you mean I can define a struct and pass it down as a kernel parameter? Sweet, I didn't know (can you point me to any example?).

Data can always be flattened. In the very worst case you would need to pass two arguments: one that contains flattened data and another one that is an array of indices into that flattened data.
I see your point, I didn't make myself clear - I meant I cannot flatten it as separate buffers, I would like to avoid having to do that kind of "manual" flattening if I can get away with a float4 array (and in my case I can), but definitely doable.

Thanks for your help!

david.garcia
05-22-2011, 07:39 PM
you mean I can define a struct and pass it down as a kernel parameter? Sweet, I didn't know (can you point me to any example?).

Yes, it's just like passing any other pointer to a kernel. Be careful with alignment as it may be different on the host and the device.