PDA

View Full Version : Problem with clCreateFromGLTexture2D

PnotNP
05-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Hello everybody,

I'm currently experimenting a little bit with OpenCL and OpenGL interoperation capabilities.

I wrote a simple raytracer for OpenCL which works without problems. Now I'm trying to modify this, so that the output is written directly to an OpenGL texture.

However, I already fail at trying to give the opengl texture to opencl via clCreateFromGLTexture2D. This methods does not succeed but instead gives an "INVALID_VALUE" error code back. I can't figure out, so I will post the relevant code parts here in hope, that someone can give me a hint.

The code is written in C#. I use the opencl.net Wrapper for OpenCL and TAO as the OpenGL Wrapper. However, I hope that the problems I experience have nothing to do with the wrapper implementations.

I initialize the OpenCL context like this:

IntPtr curDC = wglGetCurrentDC();
IntPtr curContext = wglGetCurrentContext();
IntPtr[] platforms = new IntPtr[1];
uint numPlatforms;
OpenCL.GetPlatformIDs(1, platforms, out numPlatforms);
Platform platform = new Platform(platforms[0]);
var contextProperties = new IntPtr[] { (IntPtr) ContextProperties.GL_CONTEXT_KHR, curContext,
(IntPtr) ContextProperties.WGL_HDC_KHR, curDC,
(IntPtr) ContextProperties.PLATFORM, platform };
OCLMan.CreateContextFromType(platform, DeviceType.GPU, contextProperties, null, IntPtr.Zero);

The created opencl context works without problems. I can use it to compile my opencl code and also run it.

But then there is the part, where I try to use CreateFromGLTexture2D:

int texture;
Gl.glGenTextures(1, out texture);
Gl.glBindTexture(Gl.GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture);
Gl.glTexEnvf(Gl.GL_TEXTURE_ENV, Gl.GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, Gl.GL_MODULATE);

Gl.glTexParameteri(Gl.GL_TEXTURE_2D, Gl.GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, Gl.GL_NEAREST);
Gl.glTexParameteri(Gl.GL_TEXTURE_2D, Gl.GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, Gl.GL_LINEAR);
Gl.glTexParameteri(Gl.GL_TEXTURE_2D, Gl.GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, Gl.GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
Gl.glTexParameteri(Gl.GL_TEXTURE_2D, Gl.GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, Gl.GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);

byte[] textureData = new byte[256*256*4];
textureData = textureData.Select(x => (byte)50).ToArray();

Gl.glTexImage2D(Gl.GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, Gl.GL_RGBA, 256, 256, 0, Gl.GL_LUMINANCE, Gl.GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, textureData);

ErrorCode errcode_ret;
IntPtr b = OpenCL.CreateFromGLTexture2D(OCLMan.Context, (ulong) (MemFlags.WRITE_ONLY | MemFlags.ALLOC_HOST_PTR), (int) CLGLObjectType.TEXTURE2D, 0, (uint) texture, out errcode_ret);
if (errcode_ret != ErrorCode.SUCCESS)
MessageBox.Show("gl -> cl error!");

This never works. I already tried to experiment with all parameters, but always the same error.

You can download the whole sourcecode here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10560525/GPUTracer.zip
You only need Visual Studio 2010 to compile this, everything else is included in it.

I really hope someone can help me with this. :)

By the way: I only tested this with several NVidia GPUs (with the newest dev drivers). Is it maybe possible, that clCreateFromGLTexture2D simply doesn't work with NVidia OpenCL implementations?

david.garcia
05-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Is it maybe possible, that clCreateFromGLTexture2D simply doesn't work with NVidia OpenCL implementations?

That's why we can pass CL_DEVICE_EXTENSIONS to clGetDeviceInfo. Applications should always check whether "cl_khr_gl_sharing" is in the extensions string before attempting to use CL/GL interop.

As for clCreateFromGLTexture2D, the specification says that CL_INVALID_VALUE means:

values specified in flags are not valid or if value specified in
texture_target is not one of the values specified in the description of texture_target.

Looking at your code we can see that the memory flags you pass are

MemFlags.WRITE_ONLY | MemFlags.ALLOC_HOST_PTR

However, this is what the specification says about memory flags passed to clCreateFromGLTexture2D:

flags is a bit-field that is used to specify usage information. Refer to table 5.3 for a description of flags. Only CL_MEM_READ_ONLY, CL_MEM_WRITE_ONLY and CL_MEM_READ_WRITE values specified in table 5.3 may be used

I think that solves the mistery :)

PnotNP
05-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Hi,

Thank you for your fast reply.

However, as I said, I already tried to play around with the parameters. Only passing the flag (ulong) (MemFlags.WRITE_ONLY) gives the same error :( .

Your point about the DeviceInfos is interesting, because my GPUs do not seem to support the "cl_khr_gl_sharing" extension.
This really surprises me. My best GPU is a NVidia GTX 275. I always thought this to be a rather modern graphic card.

Seems that I have to get rid of the idea to use OpenGL with my raytracer :( .

Spooky
03-26-2012, 02:59 AM
I notice you are trying to use a GL_LUMINANCE texture. However, according to the documentation (http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/sdk/1.2/docs/man/xhtml/cl_khr_gl_sharing.html), only a few GL_RGB formats are defined in the standard. Mapping from other formats are probably driver dependent.
Texture objects created with other OpenGL internal formats may (but are not guaranteed to) have a mapping to a CL image format.Could that be a source for your problem?

I am wondering about this, because I want to use a GL_LUMINANCE texture in OpenCL myself, but I am a bit bewildered about the lack of support within the OpenCL standard for these types of images. Especially since there is CL_LUMINANCE, CL_INTENSITY available in OpenCL as well.