PDA

View Full Version : Multiple instances of same component

rupesh_kumbhare
07-22-2008, 05:20 AM
Does OpenMAX IL handles multiple instances of the same component? The OMX_GetHandle() API does not have a provision to instantiate a particular instance of a given component. Any comments?

rnixon
07-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Does OpenMAX IL handles multiple instances of the same component?
Yes. Some hardware will support multiple instances and most software components should also.

The OMX_GetHandle() API does not have a provision to instantiate a particular instance of a given component. Any comments?
GetHandle() creates an instance. What do you mean by "does not have a provision to instantiate a particular instance"? Instances of the same component should be (within resource limits) the same, but with seperate state.

Thanks,

Roger

rupesh_kumbhare
07-22-2008, 10:18 PM
GetHandle() creates an instance. What do you mean by "does not have a provision to instantiate a particular instance"? Instances of the same component should be (within resource limits) the same, but with seperate state.

I meant to have a provision for additional argument in GetHandle() such as createConfig which an IL client can supply to differentiate among multiple instances.

I have understood now that you can do the same with SetParameter method to differentiate between the two instances. I assume GetHandle() call always create a new instance and return (within the limit of HW or SW).

Thanks.

rnixon
07-23-2008, 12:58 AM
I meant to have a provision for additional argument in GetHandle() such as createConfig which an IL client can supply to differentiate among multiple instances.

I have understood now that you can do the same with SetParameter method to differentiate between the two instances. I assume GetHandle() call always create a new instance and return (within the limit of HW or SW).

OMX_GetHandle() will return a different handle for each component instance. What difference (other than that) are you looking for? Could you give an example?

You do have pAppData to associate your own metadata with a component instance, if that's what you're after.

Thanks,

Roger