PDA

View Full Version : lack of ICMP

wgacquer
05-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Hello
UDP and TCP sockets are specified and implemented. May you please explain why ICMP isn't? The lack of ICMP is annoying to me.

timrenouf
05-08-2007, 05:40 AM
Hello
UDP and TCP sockets are specified and implemented. May you please explain why ICMP isn't? The lack of ICMP is annoying to me.

We in the OpenKODE working group did not see a use case for ICMP. Could you let us know what your use case(s) is/are for ICMP in an OpenKODE-using mobile media application (e.g. game) please? That would help us when refining the present OpenKODE 1.0 Provisional specification for its non-provisional release, or for consideration for a future version.

Thanks.

Tim (OpenKODE spec editor)

wgacquer
05-20-2007, 02:46 AM
Hello

We in the OpenKODE working group did not see a use case for ICMP. Could you let us know what your use case(s) is/are for ICMP in an OpenKODE-using mobile media application (e.g. game) please? That would help us when refining the present OpenKODE 1.0 Provisional specification for its non-provisional release, or for consideration for a future version.

Thanks.

Tim (OpenKODE spec editor)

Thanks for your answer.

I do need ICMP for several reasons :

1/ I do cling to the khronos standard like I did cling to POSIX ten years ago. I am currently writing a very visual network supervision system relying on Khronos API for portability reasons. The lack of ICMPv4 is a disagreement because ICMP is made for testing network reachability.

2/ ICMP is also, in it v6 version, absolutely needed in IPv6 networks. I know that you don't implement IPv6 stacks for the moment but you'll have to in order to conqueer the asian market, or more simply the mobile segment. ICMPv6 is much more than classic ICMP because it contains ARP, IGMP and ICMP. You know that IPTV uses IGMP. IPTV over IPv6 networks needs ICMPv6.

Thus, I please ask you to implement ICMP, at least in its IPv4 form.

Best regards
William Gacquer

tpr
11-30-2007, 05:30 AM
The network support in OpenKODE Core is deliberately fairly minimal to
support the limited use cases we identified without complicating the
specification with extra functionality that would remain unproven.

We did consider extending it to support things like Bluetooth discovery, but we have not had time for that while refining the OpenKODE 1.0 Final specification.

So this is something we want to consider when investigating the
direction to take after the release of OpenKODE 1.0, in the wider
context of extending the network support in various directions.

WesleyENeveu
04-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks a lot "wgacquer" . I have found your ans very helpful.