PDA

View Full Version : Adopt OpenAL

GMan
06-13-2002, 04:01 AM
One of the things that would keep OpenML from keep it from being adopted by as an alternative to DirectX is the lack of support for interactive, primarily spatialized audio. I suggest that the Khronos group adopt the OpenAL API as a subset of the Next OpenML spec.

cityhunter
06-16-2002, 10:02 PM
yes i agree with that : it'll be cool to add a way to dynamicaly spacialize the sound. OpenAL has some really great features that could be really really fun :)

ayqazi
09-04-2002, 02:25 PM
The fact is that OpenAL is the next step in the evolution of sound APIs.

I mean, treating sound sources as objects in a 3D world, and having the API inspired by OpenGL is just genius.

Now OpenGL programmers can have realistic 3D sound with all sorts of effects, using their 3D API knowledge!

Even if OpenAL doesn't make it into OpenML (which would be one of the greatest injustices in computing) I will still use it as my sound backend. It's portable, familiar (i.e. API based on OpenGL) and free to implement without royalties by hardware manufacturers.

On top of that, Creative are developing drivers for their cards with OpenAL as the API - hardware accelerated, __cross platform__ sound. Isn't that what OpenML is about?

[ September 04, 2002: Message edited by: Asfand Yar Qazi ]

Pierre
09-20-2002, 10:51 AM
I totally agree with that

traexx
01-16-2004, 06:59 AM
I hope they will add OpenAL (if not done already, i download all the stuff at the moment) course friends an me are using it for sound and at the moment it makes trouble course it plattform specific sources :( I think with OpenML, the problems can be solved ^^